Confused

Wasn’t sure if to write here or not but I am hoping for some advice.

Whilst I was going through the diagnosis process i kept coming on here and have read over and over again how getting diagnosed has helped in some way and how others were worried they wouldn’t get diagnosed due to NHS not diagnosing in the area. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I was diagnosed very quickly and this is why I feel so bad.

There seems to be so many people looking for a diagnosis and I have one and don’t serm to be happy. I have been trying to look at the positives but I feel very negative about the diagnosis and am struggling to cope. I am wanting to know if anybody else’s does or has felt the same.

i am sorry if my complaining is frustrating for those who are wanting a diagnosis I do realise I have been lucky 

Parents
  • Sorry to hear you're struggling to cope. I think getting diagnosed is a pretty big event and stirs up loads of emotions, good and bad. Try not to feel guilty about how you're feeling, it's your experience - no-one else's! You sound like an empathetic person in considering other people who struggle to get a diagnosis.

Although I was mostly glad to get my diagnosis (and finally get an explanation for years of struggling), I did start to feel sad after a few months. It hit me that this condition would be with me all my life, and I was sad that no-one had worked out that I had it sooner.

BUT after another few months I started to feel a lot better and more at peace with myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that how you feel about your diagnosis is an ongoing process. Hope things get better for you. 

• Sorry to hear you're struggling to cope. I think getting diagnosed is a pretty big event and stirs up loads of emotions, good and bad. Try not to feel guilty about how you're feeling, it's your experience - no-one else's! You sound like an empathetic person in considering other people who struggle to get a diagnosis.

Although I was mostly glad to get my diagnosis (and finally get an explanation for years of struggling), I did start to feel sad after a few months. It hit me that this condition would be with me all my life, and I was sad that no-one had worked out that I had it sooner.

BUT after another few months I started to feel a lot better and more at peace with myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that how you feel about your diagnosis is an ongoing process. Hope things get better for you. 

Children
  • Thank you for your reply

yeah I do worry about others, I believe if ur autistic we are not supposed to have empathy but I worry about others constantly so I guess that’s not always the case.

i always felt different but never suspected autism, it came out of the blue from the gp after I got Ill last year and then the assessment came through all within 12 months and it was a shock.

i also feel angry my parents didn’t do anything when I was a child and keep thinking how different things could have been. I’m not sure what’s next and feel everything is up in the air, hopefully things will change.

x