Struggle to sleep

I average about 3 hours sleep a night. The main blockage appears to be my inability to switch off.  Tried: listening to music, watching telly, doing nothing for a couple of hours before bed, tried doing loads of exercise, I have been prescribed amitriptrline by the GP 2 years ago, nothing it has helped me at all.

Does anybody else struggle this way and does anybody have any ideas to help.

Parents
  • I also am one of the hardcore insomniacs on this site.    My current sleeping pattern is from 2am to 8am.  Then I dozed off in the evening for about 30min.

I try every thing . Reading , watching TV ,listening to music, YouTube.

When sleep comes it comes, .Eventually.

My main advice is avoid keeping yourself awake.  Sleep when you can.  If you feel sleepy at 6pm and it's safe to do so. Go to bed and sleep.

• Happy New Year ... you’ll be seeing it through in several time zones, no doubt. Just let it be known that you’re thought about and cared for

Ellie 

• At the moment I'm in bed reading a book but cannot sleep because of the fireworks.

• Why not forget about the ‘normal’ pattern of sleeping and simply sleep when you fall to sleep and be awake when you’re awake? That’s what I’ve been doing most recently and slowly but surely I can see my sleep/wake pattern getting into some kind of routine. When I was trying to get it into the routine I wanted it to be in, I was getting nowhere other than getting stressed about it all which of course then makes sleep even more elusive. 

• Why not forget about the ‘normal’ pattern of sleeping and simply sleep when you fall to sleep and be awake when you’re awake? That’s what I’ve been doing most recently and slowly but surely I can see my sleep/wake pattern getting into some kind of routine. When I was trying to get it into the routine I wanted it to be in, I was getting nowhere other than getting stressed about it all which of course then makes sleep even more elusive. 

Children
No Data