Struggle to sleep

I average about 3 hours sleep a night. The main blockage appears to be my inability to switch off.  Tried: listening to music, watching telly, doing nothing for a couple of hours before bed, tried doing loads of exercise, I have been prescribed amitriptrline by the GP 2 years ago, nothing it has helped me at all.

Does anybody else struggle this way and does anybody have any ideas to help.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear you're getting so little sleep.

I've had issues with sleep all through my life, but have found it has been getting better in the last 5 years as my stress levels and general mental health has improved. 

Like @Martian Tom says, one of the things I've found most helpful is to write in a journal any thoughts/feelings that are bothering me. Then they are "out" of my head for the time-being and I can deal with them after I've slept.

The other main thing I've found helpful is to look at what I,m eating at night. I don't know if you have any food sensitivities or intolerances? I'm super sensitive to caffeine and dairy (they make my heart pound and my thoughts speed up). So I try not to eat/drink these things too often and not have them after morning so my body has time to recover by night-time.

Hope you find something that helps.

• Sorry to hear you're getting so little sleep.

I've had issues with sleep all through my life, but have found it has been getting better in the last 5 years as my stress levels and general mental health has improved. 

Like @Martian Tom says, one of the things I've found most helpful is to write in a journal any thoughts/feelings that are bothering me. Then they are "out" of my head for the time-being and I can deal with them after I've slept.

The other main thing I've found helpful is to look at what I,m eating at night. I don't know if you have any food sensitivities or intolerances? I'm super sensitive to caffeine and dairy (they make my heart pound and my thoughts speed up). So I try not to eat/drink these things too often and not have them after morning so my body has time to recover by night-time.

Hope you find something that helps.

Children
No Data