Tolerance to Pain

I have been diagnosed as autistic/Aspergers

I don't seem to feel pain the same as most people. I am a beekeeper and regularly get stung and although I does hurt it doesn't seem to bother me. I once got stung over 100 times at once. I also cycle competitively and have suffered various injuries whilst racing including broken ribs where I have carried on regardless

When I was a kid I was always falling into stinging nettles or getting scratched on barbed wire

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

Are these autistic traits? when I had my diagnosis my assessor didn't think so but I'm not so sure

• When I worked at a Restaurant I used to like snacking on chillies, and the head chef for a laugh got a special order in for the hottest chillies known, and they expected me to go down a burning death ~ but they really were the best and most refreshing I had ever had. Because I was the only one who could eat them I got the whole lot! Bonus! :-) 

I grow Naga Vipers. A stabilised Dorset variety, around 1.4 million Scoville units each. I put about an eighth of one in a tub of Arrabiata, hot, Arrabiata.

You can have this jar if you like.........

You should be perfectly fine.........Wink

• I worry about it a bit myself. The problems I'm having with my legs are mounting up. My right ankle just keeps locking up, and my patella is loose in my left knee. I didn't even know I had a problem with them until they kept locking or giving up. One thing I worry about is my hands, lots of injuries, and if they stop working I'm f*****.

[Edited by Moderator]

• agreed definitely a disadvantage I have had similar experiences with the doc and others as I don't react to stuff.   

• I live with chronic pain. Think of falling down 10 flights of concrete stairs bashing every bone, muscles, back, ribs, knees, hips, shoulders and all the joints.

That's my starting point every morning.

I've had lots of physical injuries over the years that I seem to have survived ok - a 4" nail through my foot, crushed hand, 4 broken ribs, leg ripped open from ankle to hip, badly burned by a firework etc.

• have completely forgotten the name of the curry now but it was not made in this country as it was too hot for the western body supposedly, and if you ask for it and they will make it ~ I have had it free on numerous occasions because they did not believe I could eat it and if so it would be on the house. Bonus again! :-)

Was it a Phal (pronounced pal) ? 

A Phal is not a traditional Indian dish but is a made up one to satisfy us Western loonys

• Last year I was called to collect a swarm of bees hanging 20 feet up in a tree.

when I got to the site it was a residential street. I got the ladder off the car and a box and climbed up to the swarm. By now there were about 20 people watching from a safe distance. I got the box under the swarm of bees and shook the branch that they were attached to. Suddenly the branch snapped and I lost my balance and fell from the ladder, I landed on my side and my head bounced off the pavement. I got straight back up and pretended I wasn't hurt. I had a massive cut on my head. Someone wanted to phone for an ambulance but I said I was ok. That night I couldn't sleep and felt sick. The following morning I went to work, my collegues said that I was acting strangely and my speech was slurred so I got taken to the hospital. I was ok the next day and yes I did get the bees

• I was racing in the National Mountainbike Championshios in 1993, I was going flat out down a steep gravel track when I hit a bump which caused my hands to slip off the bars. I binned it big style smashing to the ground and the bike catapaulting about 20 feet into the air. The bike had a buckled and punctured rear wheel but I got back on and completed the race. I went to the St John Ambulance once I finished and turned out I had 2 broken ribs.

Last year I was cycling down a long steep hill at about 40 mph. A car pulled out from a side road so I had to brake suddenly. I lost control and slammed into the tarmac and slid about 20 yards ending up under the car. I had a nasty gash over my eye from hitting the cars bumper and a broken rib. The car driver wanted to phone for an ambulance but I refused and decided to cycle the 30 miles home

• I also cycle competitively and have suffered various injuries whilst racing including broken ribs where I have carried on regardless

I did BMX first, Skate Boarding and then Down-Hill Mountain-biking, but hated being sponsored as a skateboarder so did not bother as a mountain biker. I am so not competitive and being sponsored made it a job that took the fun out of it. But I have slammed so hard on so many occasions only to find out later I had broken stuff and whatnot ~ so I totally know what you mean.

When I worked at a Restaurant I used to like snacking on chillies, and the head chef for a laugh got a special order in for the hottest chillies known, and they expected me to go down a burning death ~ but they really were the best and most refreshing I had ever had. Because I was the only one who could eat them I got the whole lot! Bonus! :-) 

I have completely forgotten the name of the curry now but it was not made in this country as it was too hot for the western body supposedly, and if you ask for it and they will make it ~ I have had it free on numerous occasions because they did not believe I could eat it and if so it would be on the house. Bonus again! :-)

Hard knocks school of Aspergenics pros and cons :-)

• I'd agree with Binary and NAS36609. Common traits.

I've broken hands, blew out knees, broke an ankle, and had a fractured orbital. Loads of other stuff too, a lot.  Didn't know at the time unless there were complications for a while following. The ironic thing is a scratchy label in clothing can feel agonising, and hot weather too. Sensory stuff is pretty odd in autism.

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I'm similar with food. I like peppery, hot food, and very sour food. A jar of pickled chilli is pretty alluring. I think that sometimes, speaking for myself at least, I tend to seek out things I can actually sense. I sniff vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, the smell makes my tongue and spit glands hurt. I don't feel cold much either, but I hold ice until my hands have a dull throb to stim. I'm not a masochist, I just find it a distraction. ***, that sounds weird, but yeah!

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

You do have hypersensitivity to pain, but some things that may appear like pain can be psychological aversions. Touching, certain textures, and temperatures can trigger aversions. Some things can become compulsions also when a sense can be comforting or stimulating. You sound like exercise is a place you find sensory comfort and stimulation, that might be because of hyposensitivity. I don't know, but maybe.

• I guess you’re just not expected to walk off a torn ACL stating only that ‘my knee feels weird’... 

How are you recovering? I remember you had surgery. Hope you are well!

I also remember a similar thread where I mentioned me breaking an ankle, and basically being told because I can walk on it, it's fine. Well I'm going to have to have surgery too, on a bone spur. This high tolerance to pain thing isn't as advantageous as people think!

• Yes, they appear to be quite typical autistic traits. As Binary has stated, sensory issues can be hyper or hypo, and in my personal experience a lot of autistic people have a high tolerance to pain. 

I myself am certainly hypo sensitive to pain, though it’s not always easy to get people to believe it, meaning that serious injuries have been repeatedly misdiagnosed as minor ones, causing further harm in the long-term. I guess you’re just not expected to walk off a torn ACL stating only that ‘my knee feels weird’... 

• With sensory issues you can either be hypersensitive or hyposensitive. Hyper mean extra sensitive. Hypo means less sensitive. So yes that is an autistic trait and the assessor really should know that.