Tolerance to Pain

I have been diagnosed as autistic/Aspergers

I don't seem to feel pain the same as most people. I am a beekeeper and regularly get stung and although I does hurt it doesn't seem to bother me. I once got stung over 100 times at once. I also cycle competitively and have suffered various injuries whilst racing including broken ribs where I have carried on regardless

When I was a kid I was always falling into stinging nettles or getting scratched on barbed wire

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

Are these autistic traits? when I had my diagnosis my assessor didn't think so but I'm not so sure

Parents
  • I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

Yep to all that, also drink vinegar, chili juice, worcestershire sauce etc. - I think it's a form of stimming... I like the sensation I get.

Also, I like a bit of pain - it's soothing, I used to bite my own arms as hard as I could when I was a kid and was fascinated watching the tooth marks gradually fade.

I just got back from a track session with my triathlon club, the set was: 600m @ 5km pace w/ 200m jog recovery + 300m @ 5km pace w/100m walk recovery x 4
    But the coach said "Do an extra set if you feel like it..." so I did - previous 4 sets were at 3:45-3:50 min/km pace, last 'extra' set was 3:25 min/km 'because I could' - love the burn in my muscles, love that I did the extra set (no-one else did) and feel so much less anxious after a crappy week at work so far.

I wonder if the atypical response to pain might be part of the reason why self-harm is common in autistics?

• I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

Yep to all that, also drink vinegar, chili juice, worcestershire sauce etc. - I think it's a form of stimming... I like the sensation I get.

Also, I like a bit of pain - it's soothing, I used to bite my own arms as hard as I could when I was a kid and was fascinated watching the tooth marks gradually fade.

I just got back from a track session with my triathlon club, the set was: 600m @ 5km pace w/ 200m jog recovery + 300m @ 5km pace w/100m walk recovery x 4
    But the coach said "Do an extra set if you feel like it..." so I did - previous 4 sets were at 3:45-3:50 min/km pace, last 'extra' set was 3:25 min/km 'because I could' - love the burn in my muscles, love that I did the extra set (no-one else did) and feel so much less anxious after a crappy week at work so far.

I wonder if the atypical response to pain might be part of the reason why self-harm is common in autistics?

Children
No Data