Autism and poverty

Looking back over my childhood and considering various experiences within my wider family, I can trace not only what I believe to be the "path of autism" but also a fair amount of poverty, to varying degrees. 

Now I'm not suggesting that there's a straightforward link between autism and poverty - certainly I can see many positives to my neurodivergent mind which have enabled me to make a fair living over the years - but the patterns do seem intertwined.  I can see lots of issues with anxiety, depression and addiction too but increasingly I suspect these might be related to undiagnosed (and therefore unsupported) autism.  The patterns seem to involve difficulties in the workplace (choosing and staying in jobs), education (especially higher education where independence and social factors seems to become increasingly important), accessing healthcare and applying for benefits (a stressful process in itself).  

During my teenage years in particular, we went through a lot of poverty and our living conditions were quite poor, to the extent that we didn't dare invite people round and our social isolation became ever worse.  Dad did what work he could, but was trapped in a low paying job and neither of my parents had much knowledge of the benefits system (I was quite shocked recently when my now elderly mother said that we probably could have claimed something to help).  

And going back a generation, my grandmother's house was something of a disaster.  No housework ever done, not much with which to do it, no repairs carried out, not much washing, a LOT of hoarding, alcohol consumption and gambling.  It was like that with my uncles too, although they were very intelligent people and obviously quite talented in many ways.  

Is this all necessarily to do with autism?  Probably not.  But I'm suspicious.  Especially now that my sons are having major difficulties making their way in the world and a lot of our money seems to go on false starts in education and work.  There's some good stuff in there too no doubt, but I'm worried.

Any thoughts?     

Parents
  • Hey this is a very interesting topic to discuss and hear people's opinions. Also very relevant I think. 

Personally I am involved in the organisation of a symposium on Neurodiversity (incl. autism) and Employment, and I think the high unemployment rate and differences and difficulties form the employment sector is explaining a lot concerning the 'poverty' in people with autism. I would be super happy to bring up this topic at the next symposium and hear everyone's view on how we can improve this! 

For more information about the event, last event programme and videos are to be viewed here: acechildrensoccupationaltherapy.com/autism-event-at-kcl

Updates about the upcoming event (July 2019, date to be confirmed) is to be found here: neurodiversityworkforce.wordpress.com

• Hey this is a very interesting topic to discuss and hear people's opinions. Also very relevant I think. 

Personally I am involved in the organisation of a symposium on Neurodiversity (incl. autism) and Employment, and I think the high unemployment rate and differences and difficulties form the employment sector is explaining a lot concerning the 'poverty' in people with autism. I would be super happy to bring up this topic at the next symposium and hear everyone's view on how we can improve this! 

For more information about the event, last event programme and videos are to be viewed here: acechildrensoccupationaltherapy.com/autism-event-at-kcl

Updates about the upcoming event (July 2019, date to be confirmed) is to be found here: neurodiversityworkforce.wordpress.com

Children
  • I think we should have an ND freelance agency, employ someone NT to interface clients so we don't have to and trained in translating NT waffle to clear project specs. Sensible support built in for when AS freelancers not coping or not 'getting' job spec.

Research needed to figure out how to match/develop AS people's skills to address market niches. Startup funds with business support to get it working independently. Backed up with co-housing for ND communities including appropriate workspaces.