Last year's new year's resolution

distinctly remember looking at the image in the mirror when I went to bed on new year's eve last year and saying "now I change, now I become someone new, the old me has failed and is tired". Time to regenerate (Doctor Who inspired)

Next day I woke up and began to live my new life. Changed my style, my hair etc. Within 7 weeks I was admitted to hospital because I had got to the point where I couldn't stand myself, my situation, my life, who I was, where I should be going,  but most of all I could no longer stand my mindscape. My trying to run away from myself had finally triggered something inside to snap.

Since then I've learned a lot about ASD and how it affects people so differently. Above all I was amazed when I joined here to read the stories of so many others and how, affected differently we maybe, we still have a sense of shared identity.

A lot of people have posted saying that they have lived, hidden behind a mask and now, after discovering, leaning about ASD and themselves, they feel free, true to themselves, no longer needing to pretend or stress over why they are the way they are.

I think my new year's resolution this year will to embrace the true me, stop hiding him away. The first half of my life has been spent trying to be like everyone else. The second half is going to be me living as me.

Happy New Year to you all.

Parents
  • I think my new year's resolution this year will to embrace the true me, stop hiding him away. The first half of my life has been spent trying to be like everyone else. The second half is going to be me living as me.

Good for you dazahomestead! A lot of having ASD is understanding who you are, and what ASD means to you. It is difficult having ASD, but it gives you a unique view on the world, and makes you special. You're the only you in the entire world, so use that gift of uniqueness to make your part of the world a better place in whatever way is meaningful to you. Embrace all that you are, and be the true you.

Happy New Year!

• I think my new year's resolution this year will to embrace the true me, stop hiding him away. The first half of my life has been spent trying to be like everyone else. The second half is going to be me living as me.

Good for you dazahomestead! A lot of having ASD is understanding who you are, and what ASD means to you. It is difficult having ASD, but it gives you a unique view on the world, and makes you special. You're the only you in the entire world, so use that gift of uniqueness to make your part of the world a better place in whatever way is meaningful to you. Embrace all that you are, and be the true you.

Happy New Year!

Children