Could this be autism?

Hello guys
So I've been wondering for a year now about whether I'm autistic or not. I went to a psychiatrist to get a disgnoiss about my memory and social issue and on the report it was written I might be autistic but they are not sure.

I don't want u to diagnose me I just want to know if what I'm saying is pretty normal or not. And Im kinda scared to get a disgnoiss because maybe it turns out I'm just stupid or something

========================================
I relate to the autistic social issues 100%
But I'm not sure about the others.

Does this sound normal normal peoples sensory issues or are they similar to autistic people*?

Sense of smell

I can't stand the smell of garlic, onions, chicken and candles. I feel gaggy and I get really upset.

One time I was cooking chicken wings in the oven and I couldn't stand the smell and felt gaggy all the time. I also felt like a dirty chicken and I felt like I wasn't supposed to touch anything because I will contaminate everything. And when they finished cooking I couldn't stand to eat them so I threw them.

Sense of taste

I can't taste food. It's really minimal like in my coffee or tea I add 5 spoonfuls of sugar because i can't taste it otherwise and it feels bland.
I also add aloooot of salt into fries, corn, salads. The same goes with spicy and sour stuff.
But there r food I can't stand to eat because of their texture/smell/taste like mushrooms, sausage, onions, garlicy foods, sushi and anything slimy.

I think I have a normal sense of touch and I don't get affected by lights.

Are those obsessions or just normal interests?

One time in school I was standing next to my classmate and I was really enthusiastic about telling her about  SpongeBob (at that time I really liked SpongeBob) I asked her "wanna hear interesting stuff about SpongeBob?" she said "no" but I didn't think she didn't want to hear about it I just thought she must be idk shy so I began telling her all about SpongeBob and I would follow her to contiune my story about SpongeBob. Looking bk she was pretty annoyed and left and didn't want to hear but I didn't know so I continued.

Something similar happened. At the time I was interested in ghosts and stuff. I'd watch movies and read online about ghosts and different types of ghosts and other similar creatures so u can differentiate them. I especially liked cat ghosts so I'd make a colored booklet about those types and how to avoid them. I gave this booklet to the same girl and her group of friends. Man I think she hates me and thought I'm really annoying.

I don't know if this can be considered as an obsession but here it is. There was a time where I watched 800 episodes of anime in 1 month and my phone bill was 140£ (pounders). And I memorised all the opening and ending songs and did so many quizzes and made lists about them. I thought I was an anime database.

I don't have routines. Or can someone explain to me what is considered a routine? And how or what happens when something changes? Don't really understand this part.

I do fidget especially when I'm nervous or talking or doing nothing or being careless. Like doing stuff with my hands and moving my legs.

I also have a language disability, concentration and memory issues.

Many thanks for replying and reading !

• Hi

First I would consider to go through your reports if you have any to suggest you something.

• I might be wrong about the social anxiety thing. I'm no expert. They would obviously find interaction difficult due to the anxiety but I don't think they'd have the same problems with language etc.

To be autistic you have to meet criteria in 4 areas rather than all of the criteria. One is communication, one is social anxiety, one is sensory and the other is rigidity of thought. Routine and obsession both fit into rigidity of thought. I certainly don't think every person with autism has big obsessions. The things you listed in your original post sound like obsessions to me. You don't have to have a strict day to day routine to be autistic but generally I think most people with autism have some degree of difficulty with unexpected change or not knowing what to expect. A liking for rules or a dislike of people breaking rules can also be part of rigidity of thought.

I have massive problems with executive function, especially tidying!

• Hello again and sorry for late reply. I didn't know social anxious people knew how to interact. That's interesting. I also have another questions if you don't mind to answer.

1. Can you be autistic if you don't have obsessions or routines but you meet the other criterias? 
    2. Do you have problems with executive functioning? Like having problems with cleaning your room, cooking, taking care of yourself and eating? 

I did a sensory processing quiz and I scored high on it. 

Thank you alot! 

• A large number of people with autism will have social anxiety due to their struggles with social interaction so I guess that explains that. I guess the difference if they don't have autism is they'd understand how to interact they would just be anxious about it. Where as the AQ test is also looking at things like your ability to follow a conversation and know how to take turns.

I think it's probably fair to say that a lot of people would be a little bit annoyed/upset about their routine being disturbed but it's more significant if you have ASC and people with ASC have a bigger need for routine than NTs. I personally think it also about expectation rather than routine. NTs tend to be better at imagining what is going to happen. I want to be told exactly what is going to happen and be very clear on the details.

I agree there should be more about sensory issues though. I guess sensory issues are so diverse it's too difficult to record in a quiz like that. Because it can be hyper or hypo and because different people have issues with different senses. There is a sensory processing quiz that I scored scarily high on. It is intended for sensory processing disorder I think but it would be worth taking to see how you score on sensory issues.

• I thought It can also be applied to social anxiety. And it was mostly about social stuff and I wanted more about sensory issues. I find it hard to understand and would like some examples to clarify so I don't misunderstand the question. I thought this could be applied to everything and everyone and everything mentioned was normal but maybe I don't understand what the normal is. Like I wanted it to include certain scenarios we can relate to or dismiss. For example like when you said about hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity. And about different senses. There were stuff about routines but I felt like everyone when distrub will be upset so I don't really know. And yes I agree about the neither option. 

• Well it definitely sounds to me like you could be on the spectrum. The not getting people's intentions and not knowing how you come across is called mentalising. My report said I have significant difficulty with it so yes that can be part of autism.

Above you said you found the aq test too general. I'm intrigued which questions you didn't like. I found the aq test difficult because I found the terms slightly agree and disagree stupid and I wanted a sometimes or neither option.

• Hello and wow this is really helpful! Thanks alot. 

Hm yes I can relate a bit to the routine thing and I'd say I'm not too rigid also. Like when my sister suddenly wants to go to grocery store I'd get a panic attack because I didn't emotionally prepare myself. So I'd need one more day but now she doesn't do this anymore and we go the  same time every week. This also happens in sudden appointments and change in schedules of classes.

As for the social skills I'd say most things apply for me. I suspected I have social aniexty but I definitely relate more to the social issues of autism.

• I can't maintain eye contact especially when I'm talking. I can try when listening to someone but I would be too focused on the maintaining the eye contact that I loose concentration of what they are saying.
    • People say I'm rude and I get mind blown all the time. Even when they explain it I don't quite get it.
    • I don't get peoples intentions. This may make me sound so stupid. When I was in highschool I was getting bullied. I didn't know I was getting bullied because I thought they were joking and having fun.
    • I can't start or maintain conversations.
    • I don't have empathy. Can't relate or understand or put myself in someone else shoes.

Last academic year I was in college and some guy stopped me in the streets infront of the college asking for my number and saying "we have classes together and I want to be friends. So how can we communicate?" I was shocked and said some gibberish words but managed to give him my number hoping I might get a friend for the first time. But he was too touchy, creepy and came on too strong that I kept getting panic attacks. I couldn't sleep for two months and I got really bad acid reflux and back pain because everything changed and  he wanted to meet everyday and I just wanted everything to return the same it was before. One time he creeply said "let's go to my house. Its sooo big and no one is here". Because of him I almost failed and getting kicked out from college because of attendance and grades. But I managed to pull a pass. So phew.

Thats all come to mind right now. Thanks again. 

• You certainly have traits. Sensory issues can be hypersensitive or hyposensitive so not being able to taste food could mean your hyposensitive to it.

The sponge bob bit definitely sounds autistic. Kind of thing I would have done.

Routine can vary for different people. Some people with autism need a very rigid routine that they always follow like eating at the same time or doing things in a particular order. Others need their plan for the day written down. I don't find my need for routine as rigid as that but I do like having some structure. I work in a school which means I have a timetable. I think I'd find a job without this challenging. I don't really like things happening unexpectedly. If I go to work and they tell me I'm doing something different that day I can find it quite challenging. I like special occasions to have a routine. Christmas is the same every year and I'd be upset if it wasn't. I like to know what to expect from everything so I find anything like a hospital appointment where I don't know what is going to happen.

What is your communication like as this is another section of the criteria?

Have you also considered looking into adhd? Only because you mention fidgeting and concentration. I do have issues with both these things but my assessor ruled out adhd as I can concentrate on things I enjoy. Might be worth thinking about though.

I understand you wanting to be sure before looking at being assessed but from my experience you'll probably continue to have doubts until you take that step.