To diagnose or not diagnose? That is the question

Ive been watching Agony Autie this week. She is very empowering. "If you identify with autistic traits then why wouldnt you be autistic?" She mentioned that diagnosis might not be right for some people. I dont know if it would be right for me.

If i were to go through with the process and get an outcome of ASC my ideas FOR this would be a) validation b) evidence as i wouldnt be believed otherwise c)a better understand of myself (altho i am part way there from doing my own research).

Ideas against - a) declaring to prospective employers (do you HAVE to do this?!) Im pretty sure my current ones would be very supportive and i dont think id require an special adaptations....b) coming out to people and having to explain or justify myself...but most ppl i know are very open minded / laid back anyway....c) limiting myself. However this could be interpreted as knowing my limitations and not doing stuff just to fit in any more.

Waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror and seeing the label on myself every day for the rest of my life. I am in no way saying this is a bad thing but im not sure how prepared i am for that. And the emotions that woukd come along with it.

What reaons did you have for seeking a diagnosis / do you have for not seeking a diagnosis? Can anyone add to my list as it will give me other strands to consider.

Thank you.

Parents
  • I didn't actively seek a diagnosis. I crashed during pregnancy and they put me in the Post Partum Watch programme before giving birth, thinking it was that. The psychiatrist there immediately said: 'Has anyone ever said you might be autistic?'

Then after giving birth the entire procedure started up and after a year I got my diagnosis.

• I didn't actively seek a diagnosis. I crashed during pregnancy and they put me in the Post Partum Watch programme before giving birth, thinking it was that. The psychiatrist there immediately said: 'Has anyone ever said you might be autistic?'

Then after giving birth the entire procedure started up and after a year I got my diagnosis.

Children
  • Thanks Blank. So it took a big event before you found out.  You know, having children is one of life's mysteries to me. I am 33 years old and have never felt maternal. I am warming to the idea but I think it's more of a practical sense than an intuitive female thing. There are many aspects to having children and going through pregnancy and birth which have whirled through my mind. I think I have tocophobia. I'm scared that if pregnancy does come along I won't be able to cope. I feel that if I were to be diagnosed with ASC  there would be additional support available.