Pathological Demand Avoidance -- could that be me?

I am diagnosed with depression, anxiety and emotionally unstable personality  (don't like the "disorder" bit -- I don't think I am disorderly...…) But I have wondered for years whether I was somewhere on the AS. 

I tried the online test and didn't pass it.  But have just discovered something called Pathological Demand Avoidance which is part of the AS.  It's another horrible name!  But there are a few bits of it that fit with me.

I am curious whether there are other adults on this forum who have this diagnosis or think they might have it.

Parents
  • I think there are traits of PDA that are present in people with other autistic traits.  Which is probably why there is a move away from specific diagnoses and moving towards an all-encompassing term 'autism'.

Every autistic person is unique.  It is very unlikely that one autistic person has the complete range of traits.  Some traits may be absent, and others may be very noticeable.  This does not mean that a certain person is more 'severely' affected than another, it just means that the autism may or not be more noticeable or less noticeable. 

It can take a long time to recognise one's traits.  I am inclined to do many seemingly 'abnormal' things, and one of the things I cannot abide is something going against my idea of what is right and what is wrong, be that a deliberate lie or someone arguing with me because of the way I  choose to do things.  I am also sure I have some traits of PDA, such as not liking to be told what to do, under any circumstances.  I will certainly not take kindly when I am in the middle of something to be told to do something else, and conflicts of information really get to me,  This obviously has got me into trouble at work in times past.  I am ok when I make the decision, it is when things are taken from my control that affects me.

A diagnosis report could possibly contain some traits of other autistic conditions but not name them, because I don't think either of the manuals used by psychologists have really allowed for multi-autistic diagnoses, but I may be wrong in this.  Mine merely said I was autistic with an Asperger's profile.  The DSM has not used the term 'Aspergers' for several years, and it is being removed from the ICD along with other autistic conditions in the next revision.

The online test is not a diagnostic tool, and there is not a 'pass' or 'failure'.  It simply detects traits of autism and gives a good idea as to whether someone may or may not be autistic.  It is not foolproof but gives an indication as to whether an assessment may be worthwhile. 

And don't forget that depression and anxiety can also be symptoms of other conditions, such as bipolar condition, personality disorder and OCD which are co-morbid conditions with autism.  Have you mentioned your concerns to your doctor or other medical or psychological professional?

• I do like what you say about everyone's autism being unique.  Diagnosis is just a label, and it is only useful if it brings with it some understanding -- and help.

If you read my reply to binary, you'll get a clearer account of what I think I have that fits the label.  I don't fit with all of it, just enough of it to make me think again about my past and the reasons why things were difficult.

I am sure you just wanted to reassure me in some way about the test, but I don't need reassuring about that!  A written test is something you pass or don't pass -- we could leave out the word "fail", but the test is there to tell you that you meet a certain number of the criteria the test creator has set, and your number is usually above or below a set of limits. 

I did not meet enough of the criteria for this test, but the descriptions in the test would fit someone with a more "obvious" autism than what I think I have.  Of course, there is some co-morbidity too -- anxiety, depression and EUPD.

I am not asking for a diagnosis yet.  I don't have a good opinion about the support being offered, and I don't want to be officially labelled unless I can get something from it.

• I do like what you say about everyone's autism being unique.  Diagnosis is just a label, and it is only useful if it brings with it some understanding -- and help.

If you read my reply to binary, you'll get a clearer account of what I think I have that fits the label.  I don't fit with all of it, just enough of it to make me think again about my past and the reasons why things were difficult.

I am sure you just wanted to reassure me in some way about the test, but I don't need reassuring about that!  A written test is something you pass or don't pass -- we could leave out the word "fail", but the test is there to tell you that you meet a certain number of the criteria the test creator has set, and your number is usually above or below a set of limits. 

I did not meet enough of the criteria for this test, but the descriptions in the test would fit someone with a more "obvious" autism than what I think I have.  Of course, there is some co-morbidity too -- anxiety, depression and EUPD.

I am not asking for a diagnosis yet.  I don't have a good opinion about the support being offered, and I don't want to be officially labelled unless I can get something from it.

Children
  • I am a very good liar (unfortunately?). Maybe because I prefer speaking the truth and especially when no one else says anything or dates say anything.

I think my dad has authority issues and anger issues. Things really had to go his way. My mum is a paychiatric patient and I don't think there was anything conventional about my upbringing Laughing

• I had to do a lot of thinking to come up with a name.

Think maybe I am getting used to the site now but still don't understand why replies get put up above previous replies. Also why my other replies to you are not showing now.  But I was never very good at this stuff.

Went to therapy group today.  Haven't told them about the PDA thing.

Were your parents conventional or were either of them ever out of step?  My mother was more conventional than my father, but she was a musician and had some unconventional bits to her.  Otherwise don't know how she could have stayed married to him.

Do you still find that you do the pretend and distract things?  I think my autistic characteristics are the opposite -- everything has to be "real" and I can't pretend.  Well, occasionally I tell a lie, as a way of explaining why I didn't do something or didn't turn up, when I don't want to admit that I forgot!  As for distracting someone, I find I can't do that even if I want to.

Strange, how different we all are. 

• I had a hard time finding a name :-) I just go 'blank' on a lot of stuff so decided to go by that Smile

The site has many issues and many of us are seeing funny stuff happening with posts and answers.

I like your name!

My parents just thought I was difficult and I was, because I never walked in step with everyone else. Always out of step.

• for some reason my reply has gone over the top of my first reply....I'll see if this one does the same...

• I'll see if I can send you a friend request.

I think my parents thought I was awkward too -- but so was my dad!  He was thrown out of six schools in Germany and then he was sent to America -- the sort of thing they used to do with naughty boys back then.  He was very bright but he never finished his education and he didn't really have a career, although he did a lot of different jobs.  So maybe we both had some sort of PDA.. 

I am looking for a name to put in my profile, as you have done.

• I tried to send you a friend request but can't for some reason.

My parents raised me very strictly and partly it may have helped me cope, partly it made me want to go against them :-)

• Thanks and same to you!

Anytime you like. 

I'm really awful with instructions as I always immediately get the urge to do nothing or the exact opposite.

They called ne a 'difficult, stubborn' child.

• Try to take care of yourself as best you can.  And that is a suggestion, not an instruction. I think you will be a valuable person for me to have a conversation with about this stuff.

• Oh boy... now I suddenly know why I cannot follow recipes or step-by-step instructions... 

And I can tick most of the boxes, including the pretend and distract thing.

Got to let this one sink in a bit as there is nothing positive about this...