Virtual Jukebox

Today I've been relaxing by playing music I listened to in the past (my youth!)

Here's one such song (Supertramp: Logical Song) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKQw578Lm8

Do reply with a song you liked listening to... we can turn this thread into a virtual jukebox! 

Parents Reply
  • Yes. Clara Rockmore plays the theremin like it was a proper classical instrument. Mostly they get used in horror film soundtracks (which I often enjoy too). I think it's a theremin being played on Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. I've always wanted to have a go at  being a thereminist myself.  :)

Children
  • Oh how brilliant! There's a homeless guy near where I live who plays the didgeridoo - also a great sound but not very portable. I'd love to have a go at the Jew's Harp but sadly I don't think my teeth are up to it! 

I have some little Buddhist cymbals and a singing bowl I really like the sound of too. 

• The most unusual instrument that I play is the jaws harp, though not so much these days as I worry about my teeth! Once you get into the different percussive sounds you can make by stopping the tine with your finger and sucking and blowing, it's a surprising versatile little instrument, and it's always nice to be able to play something that fits in a pocket.

Couldn't find owt on YouTube half as good as the guy who taught me, but if you'd met me years ago outside having a breather from a gig, I'd have been very prone to doing this...

• Playing the saw was very satisfying and definitely worth the bother it got me into! 

I also used to like playing glasses with varying amounts of water in them by rubbing the rims. 

I have never seen Delicatessen (can't cope with gruesome stuff!) but I love the trailer: m.youtube.com/watch

• There can't be many musical instruments that come with a "crotch danger!" warning! I've wanted to have a go at that ever since I saw the film Delicatessen, where the lead character plays one.

• I got into a lot of trouble doing this with my dad's best saw! 

m.youtube.com/watch

• No wonder the Theramin sounds so ethereal it really is beautifully strange. 

Thank you so much for your best wishes for tomorrow! () 

• The theramin is ALL about the person playing it, no touching, just subtle hand gestures, a truly connected instrument which when used correctly and fully understood can convey the inner feelings of the user. 

Oh and good luck tomorrow sunflower, wishing you all the best. ()

• It is such an intriguing instrument - I really hope you get a chance to play one!