Disability Confident Scheme

Hi all...

With there being so few neurodiverse (ND) people in full-time employment, I was wondering what, if any, experiences anyone else has had when applying for a job with an employer that is registered with the Disability Confident Scheme?

My own experience has been less than stellar, but then, the most recent attempt was applying for a job with the local council Rolling eyes

I have several issues/question regarding the DCS - all based purely upon my own experience and latter research.

First, please indulge me in relating my most recent experience:

I saw a job advertised that I would be able to do standing on my head, blindfolded and one arm tied behind my back.

I had ALL the mandatory skills/experience and all except for one of the desirable ones

Being a local authority, they wanted their own specific application form filled out etc.  Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I go to complete pieces when it comes to application forms for anything, let alone a job - sends the anxiety straight through the roof.  Knowing this, I telephoned the HR department, explained my situation to a very helpful lady and she agreed that, in my case, they would make a reasonable adjustment and allow me to fill in only the basics on the application form and submit my CV for the evidence of skills and experience etc.  This I duly did - even thanking them for the reasonable adjustment in the covering email.

It just so happens that this local authority quite proudly promote themselves as a Disability Confident employer.  Even on their own website it states that if you are applying under the Disability Confident scheme and you meet the minimum requirements for the job, you are guaranteed an interview.  Result, I thought.

Imagine my surprise when 3 weeks later I receive an email stating that I have been unsuccessful and will not be called for interview.  TO be perfectly honest, it felt like someone had stepped out of my computer and slapped me round the face.

I emailed them asking for feedback on why my application was unsuccessful.  Another 3 weeks went by and then I received an email stating that it is not their policy to give feedback at the application form stage of the interview process.  I replied stating that as I had applied under the DCS, I would really rather appreciate the feedback especially as I met all their criteria.  2 weeks later I receive an email stating that the HR manager will discuss my application with the hiring manager(s) and get back to me though she also re-iterated that it is not their policy to give feedback at this stage.  4 weeks down the line I get an email...  This email says that there was no evidence that I met the criteria in my application.

To (hopefully) put a picture in your mind think bull & red rag.

I duly opened my CV in Word, highlighted ALL the areas that evidenced where I met, or exceeded, their requirements and sent it back to them with a very politely worded email asking where, exactly, the evidence they were looking for was lacking.  That was 2 months ago and I still have not received any response.

Now, my questions...

1.  What is the point of having a scheme if there is no teeth or enforcement behind it?
  2.  What is the point of an employer advertising that they are part of the scheme and then not even complying with the information on their own website/material?
  3.  If the idea is to make jobs/employers more accessible to those with disabilities (ND, ASD, paraplegic or whatever), how can it possible be doing so?
  4.  If this is another example of so-called "positive discrimination" can someone please explain what part(s) of this experience has been positive for me?
  5.  I would prefer that everyone was treated solely on their ability to do the job rather than any "protected characteristic" or, in the absence of that, at least do what you (the employers) say they are going to do!

Okay...  Soap box has been made into a go-kart now...

Has anyone else had any experiences - positive or negative - of this or any similar schemes?

Parents Reply Children
No Data