Have you got a favourite mug?

Have you got a favourite mug? This is one of mine.

• Bought for my mathematician daughter but kept for myself (bit selfish!)
  • I love numbers but get maths anxiety (so full of contradictions!) 
  • My ginger 'fresh' tea is 2 years out of date (frugal streak!) 

Do share your favourite mug - photo or description - I find mugs fascinating 

Parents
  • It's not a mug but I will include this...

When I was at primary school in the 1990s the milk for morning break time came in small glass (yes, glass) bottles with straws. They looked so cool, so almost from the first day at school I decided that was the only way I wanted drink milk. I took a few empty bottles home and would rarely drink milk out of any other container even as a teenager. This didn't apply to any other drink, only milk. My mother thought that I was obsessed with the milk bottles although I pointed out that other kids at school loved them as well. I wasn't the only kid to have them at home but I probably had the biggest collection of them and was using them throughout my secondary school years.

The milk bottles were still in use when I finished Y6 in 2001 but were later changed to cartons with garish pictures on them that aren't half as fun.

Does anybody's kids have, or recently had, glass milk bottles at primary school or is it all cartons now?

• This is fascinating! I am much older than you so we had free school milk in little glass bottles back in the 1960s and 1970s. I never drank milk as a child and had a particular problem with warm milk (strange smell). My main aim was to persuade one of the boys to drink my milk as well as his own. In the winter the cream on the top would freeze - that was almost palatable - bit like ice cream! 

I get a lot of enjoyment out of things like miniature glasses and coffee cups. I can see the appeal of the little glass bottles (I agree the cartoon ones aren't as good). However, I'll never forget the trauma of being given a lukewarm bottle of milk to drink! The photo below which I found online brings back lots of memories! 

I've no idea what happens these days. It will be interesting to find out from other people if glass milk bottles are still used in schools. 

• I have never encountered anybody who had glass milk bottles at primary school in the 1990s except in my locality so it's possible that they were not used anywhere else at the time. I was verbally informed that they were changed to cartons in the early 2000s at the behest of the politically correct NuLab government backed up by overprotective middle class parents worried about the health and safety implications of 4 year old kids in reception class handling glass bottles.

The milk was always cold and fresh because it was delivered less than an hour before morning break. It wasn't free but only cost £2 a term so almost every kid had it.

This photo is not from my primary school but was taken in 1992 judging from the date stamp.

• I remember them as well, sugar butties,, yum,,,never did me any harm, never been heavier than ten stone, 

still have ALL my own teeth as well.

• At school I had thin blue plastic straws just like in the photo above. At home I had bendy straws or long perspex straws in complex shapes.

Blue Planet II last year has resulted in large scale public opposition to plastic straws and other single use plastic products, like coffee stirrers.

Primary schools must throw away hundreds of thousands of plastic straws every day along with milk cartons and they can't be recycled. I think milk should be supplied to primary schools in glass bottles rather than cartons and kids have their own re-usable straw.

• At school I had thin blue plastic straws just like in the photo above. At home I had bendy straws or long perspex straws in complex shapes.

Blue Planet II last year has resulted in large scale public opposition to plastic straws and other single use plastic products, like coffee stirrers.

Primary schools must throw away hundreds of thousands of plastic straws every day along with milk cartons and they can't be recycled. I think milk should be supplied to primary schools in glass bottles rather than cartons and kids have their own re-usable straw.

Children
No Data