Need to declutter - anyone else have a problem with this?

Hello all, 

I am interested to know whether any of you have had problems with clutter, and/or dealing with it. Although I do conform in some ways to the Aspie stereotype of everything ordered, organised into its collections and categorised, I came to realise that there is just too much of it.

Many mornings, I have looked at the clutter  and unfinished tasks from my bed and felt so overwhelmed that I haven't even wanted to get up. I just want to stick my head under the covers and pretend it's not there. I have accumulated too much stuff over the years, much of it connected with unfinished projects or uncompleted tasks. I have reached the point where I feel oppressed by all this STUFF and it is causing me real stress and anxiety.

I can't keep the house clean or tidy,  because there's too much stuff in the way. I took 2 days off work and started a major declutter (managed to do clothes, kitchen and bathroom) but now I feel like I have stalled and that the declutter itself is going to end up on the unfinished projects list.

I look at the state of the place and it makes me feel like a useless human being. I mean, not living in a tip is pretty basic self care, right? And it seems that I can't manage it. Not finishing things is a problem too - I get overwhelmed and give up, then that makes me feel useless too. Does anyone else feel like this?

It's not helped by my OH, who is lovely and very compatible on most levels, but grew up in a really messy house so claims he simply doesn't notice. I tried to explain that either he needs to help me to get some of the junk out of here, or he needs to do his share of the cleaning (he doesn't lift a finger normally). I don't think he took any notice. This seems to be par for the course. I feel like no-one every acknowledges anything is wrong until I break. I feel like they must know (I even tell them pretty directly on occasion), but if they acknowledge it, they might have to do something to help, and so they just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend to be oblivious. I am trying hard not to be hurt/upset by this because in most respects, my OH is great, but what I really feel is: you know this causes me stress and anxiety, and that I can't cope with doing it all, but to help with that you would have to make an effort, and you don't want to do that. In other words, "I don't give a stuff if it makes you miserable, as long as I don't have to lift a finger to do anything about it". He doesn't care enough to help, which upsets me.

I do a full time job with a long commute, so most days I am out at 7am and not home until 7.30pm, so time is a factor as well.

So after that ramble, I would love to know whether anyone else has managed to find a way to organise themselves, to follow through on things and generally to keep their house in order. Or are you all as overwhelmed as I am?

Parents
  • Oh, how I wish I could show you my bedroom! I am autistic with added ADD just for fun, I have areas of meticulously well-ordered "junk" but they are nestled within piles of totally random and disorganised clutter.There is a path from the door to the bed, I'd recommend the use of a Machete and Rhino Repellant if you want to pop around and venture off into my jungle and do some exploring.

I am seriously thinking about making a video of it as it is now and put it on Youtube! I'd then do weekly episodes of my attempts to clear it all up (and find some socks-along with the £340 I lost in there a month or so ago!) Now I come to write this down, I think I will go through with it! I do need to borrow a decent camera which may prove problematic but I like the idea more and more so will see what I can come up with.

I have three washing machine motors-any takers?

• Oh, how I wish I could show you my bedroom! I am autistic with added ADD just for fun, I have areas of meticulously well-ordered "junk" but they are nestled within piles of totally random and disorganised clutter.There is a path from the door to the bed, I'd recommend the use of a Machete and Rhino Repellant if you want to pop around and venture off into my jungle and do some exploring.

I am seriously thinking about making a video of it as it is now and put it on Youtube! I'd then do weekly episodes of my attempts to clear it all up (and find some socks-along with the £340 I lost in there a month or so ago!) Now I come to write this down, I think I will go through with it! I do need to borrow a decent camera which may prove problematic but I like the idea more and more so will see what I can come up with.

I have three washing machine motors-any takers?

Children
No Data