Autism assessment - discussion of outcome

After months of waiting, I have finally been invited to a discussion of the outcome of my assessment in a couple of weeks time.  I have heard mixed reports of what to expect.  Some people seem to just get a very brief diagnosis, others a multi page document and other resources/signposting.  So I don't know how to prepare.  I feel desperate, though, and need to get as much out of this appointment as possible.  Obviously I'm hoping I've got a team that does a full report and highlights local and national resources for me, as well as considering what I think is a really important issue (and indeed the one which drove me towards seeking a formal assessment) - autism as a family issue.  

There have been so many issues within my family over the years and these have become quite desperate in the cases of both of my sons.  Neither will consider going for an assessment themselves so it's a vexed issue, but in order to seek appropriate help, I feel I need to know what's going on in my family.  My own diagnosis will, I think, give me some indication even though I appreciate this would be more of a balance of likelihoods/working hypothesis. 

If I don't get diagnosed I'll feel I've drawn a blank and won't know what to do.  However, with the end of the diagnostic process, I will be discharged from the Autism Team and also the local Affective Disorders Team (lovely title!) which oversees this service.  So i'll have nothing.

I'm quite afraid of what might happen next.  What questions and expectations should I take to this last appointment?     

Parents
  • And...   Drumroll...  I finally got a positive diagnosis.  Not yet sure how to feel about this at the age of 55, but I think it is the best possible outcome after years of feeling at odds with the world.  :) 

• So pleased for you - I'm sure this clarity will prove to be really helpful for you and for your sons. What a pity that the process turned out to be so long and arduous. It's wonderful that you persevered with it and finally got your diagnosis. 

• Thanks Sunflower.  Yes, I hope so too.  The Autism Service seemed keen to downplay the family aspects of autism, which I guess is understandable for a service which assesses and diagnoses individuals.  I think it's important, though, and might help me to find the right resources and information to help my sons.  

• Thanks Sunflower.  Yes, I hope so too.  The Autism Service seemed keen to downplay the family aspects of autism, which I guess is understandable for a service which assesses and diagnoses individuals.  I think it's important, though, and might help me to find the right resources and information to help my sons.  

Children
No Data