What should you expect from an autistic boyfriend?

Hi all,

I'm nearly 22 and I have been dating my boyfriend for over a year now. He got diagnosed with autism only last year, just a couple months into me seeing him. He asked me if it put me off him, and of course it didn't even cross my mind, it did not bother me at all, even though I knew it would be a challenge at times. He has high-functioning autism, which means compared to other forms of autism, he function very well, and sometimes you would not even know until you got to know him. But I have come on this site because although I have managed very well over the past year, I feel like I need some support because sometimes I cannot always distinguish what is his autism or what is his being selfish, etc.

His autism makes him prone to overthinking a lot of things, this happens so frequently and he can get angry or upset about things anyone else wouldn't because its as though he jumps to too many conclusions and always thinks 'what if..'. When he gets like this, he will calm down with a little time, and often I found giving hugs, head rubs, and general attention makes him relax. Does anyone experience this or know how to help?

Sometimes I really really struggle with his lack of empathy. I try to understand but it just really hurts me sometimes that I will practically bend over backwards to make him feel better so often, but I can lay next to him crying and he barely does anything. Sometimes I get to a point where I feel emotionally drained and I cry because he does not give me nearly as much attention as I give to him. It just feels hurtful sometimes, even if he doesn't mean it but I don't know how to say this to him without him getting defensive. How can I cope with this lack of empathy? Do I just have to continually remind myself that he doesn't mean it? I think that's something I am learning, its just difficult. A couple of weeks ago when he was in an extremely stresses state he said that he didn't want to look at me, and although I wanted to cry, I tried to tell myself he didn't mean it (he did later apologise) and I somehow found the strength to ignore it and cuddled him. Is that what I should do? Its not just me, he will do this with his mum as well and he adores us both, so I know deep down he does not mean to.

This seems like a strange question, but I'll ask anyway. Is it common for adults with autism to lose interest in sex or have low sex drives? He does not like sex frequently, and in particular right now. In the first few months of our relationship we did it once maybe twice a month. However, we haven't had sex for over 5 months now, and I do believe other factors are involved, such  as stress, but generally speaking a man his age, should have a healthy sex drive or some interest. It doesn't bother me how often we do it (i'm really a bit of a prude anyway) but him not wanting it makes me feel really bad about myself. if I knew it was a common trait autism, I would feel better rather than blaming myself.

Sorry for the lengthy questions but I'm feeling like a useless girlfriend right now.

Thanks

Parents
  • I’m having the exact same experience I’m 21 and my boyfriend is 23. I’ve only been with my boyfriend for a few months now and on our first date he did tell me he had Asperger Syndrome. I didn’t really understand what that meant so I googled it a lot so I could understand him better. He told me that I was the first person to ever make an effort and try and understand him. 

We’ve had many arguments about silly stuff especially when I say no to something he will react like I’ve ripped his world apart. He will wind himself up so much that he will say really hurtful things like I don’t want to be around you or see your face, just because I say no to driving him somewhere or to buying him some food (especially when I’m low on money for that month which I explain to him). 

I feel as if I am bending over backwards to support him and I receive no support back. He won’t even give me a hug or hold my hand when I’m physically balling my eyes out in front of him. I’ve spoken to him many times about if I’m learning to understand him he needs to also learn to understand me. But it always ends up with me apologising when I’ve not done anything. 

Its weird because he is friends with this girl and he can be supportive of her like pick her up when she needs it, will be pleasant to her and listen to her etc. But I needed to be picked up one time which I’d arranged with him and he cancelled on me because he had an argument with his mum and ‘didn’t want to see anyone’. Is there a reason he is more pleasant with this girl or is it just an act in front of her? And I receive the harsh reality?

• Some of what you say rings so true with me. My husband can come across as friendly & funny to others but then to me is really selfish & hurtful. He will fly off the handle at the slightest thing & say that I am constantly criticising him if I try to ask him to do something differently. It’s funny how someone can be so sensitive to criticism but then be so insensitive to how their behaviour affects others. 

• Some of what you say rings so true with me. My husband can come across as friendly & funny to others but then to me is really selfish & hurtful. He will fly off the handle at the slightest thing & say that I am constantly criticising him if I try to ask him to do something differently. It’s funny how someone can be so sensitive to criticism but then be so insensitive to how their behaviour affects others. 

Children
No Data