Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • What part of the UK do you live in? The NAS has various branches in different locations. You might be able to join an adult social club?

www.autism.org.uk/.../group.aspx

• Hi, thank you for replying to my post. I live in the Wirral area. I don't drive and neither does my parents. I have just looked at the link you put in your reply, and all the support groups are either in London, Manchester or places that are too far for me to travel. I am looking for support near me, and ways that could help with my Autism. I stay in 24/7 unless I need to go out, but if I do go out my mum comes with me every time. I have no friends, I don't work (atm) I am just struggling to find support for young adults with autism x

• Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Wirral area myself, but there are some things came up when I googled using the key words "wirral adult autism" and "wirral adult autism social group"

There's the Wirral Centre for Autism at Oak House: http://www.autismtogether.co.uk/

Maybe you could also consider looking at some other places in North West England as well? You might be able to travel there by train, coach, or bus?

Here is a list of NAS branches in North West England, which might be more reasonable for you to travel to: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/local/england/north-west.aspx 

By the way, when you got your diagnosis, did the assessment clinic offer any suggestions for where you can go afterwards for support?

You could try calling the NAS helpline to ask if they might have any more information about adult social groups in Wirral. 

• I have been looking myself and I too have used those key words. The problem is with travel it's difficult for us as we don't have the money to travel far distances. It's also a struggle trying to figure out bus and train routes to the places. 

My mum has spoken to someone from another autistic website (or it maybe this one) talking about going into a small group of autistic adults and for ten weeks we go bowling etc once a week. I was thinking of doing this, but at the moment we are fighting for PIP because once we told them that I am now Autistic they stopped my money. With all that in my mind I didn't want to start doing something like that when I am waiting for a reply back from the tribunal for my court date. 

I have looked at that link and I think the closest we could go to would be Chester, because everywhere else is too far for us. 

Not really, we got told on the day that I am Autistic. Then we waited for the letter, read it over and then made some changes and then went back to her. She gave us leaflets and a Autism wallet and that was it. Every time we try somewhere they either just do children, or there is nothing they can do for me. It's been a struggle and since January we have been battling PIP so it's been difficult x

• I have been looking myself and I too have used those key words. The problem is with travel it's difficult for us as we don't have the money to travel far distances. It's also a struggle trying to figure out bus and train routes to the places. 

My mum has spoken to someone from another autistic website (or it maybe this one) talking about going into a small group of autistic adults and for ten weeks we go bowling etc once a week. I was thinking of doing this, but at the moment we are fighting for PIP because once we told them that I am now Autistic they stopped my money. With all that in my mind I didn't want to start doing something like that when I am waiting for a reply back from the tribunal for my court date. 

I have looked at that link and I think the closest we could go to would be Chester, because everywhere else is too far for us. 

Not really, we got told on the day that I am Autistic. Then we waited for the letter, read it over and then made some changes and then went back to her. She gave us leaflets and a Autism wallet and that was it. Every time we try somewhere they either just do children, or there is nothing they can do for me. It's been a struggle and since January we have been battling PIP so it's been difficult x

Children
No Data