Do I tell people

so today I was diagnosed with mild autism and mild aspergers, I wanted to ask should I tell everyone?

Parents
  • It is definitely your decicion but you should.weigh everything up.carefully.

I do not think terms.such as 'mild' or 'slight'' autism are particularly helpful (nor for that matter 'severe') since they gloss over the needs and abilities of the person. You are autistic and in one way or another this manifests itself in many ways, and it is more than likely there is an autistic time bomb within ready to detonate in all its glory, in a spectacular display of what NTs would call 'unaccepable behaviour' or cause severe depression and anxiety.

I was having great problems at work and had to declare my autism, without so doing I would have been dismissed.  My assessor helpfully produced a detailed statement as to how I was affected and what adjustments should be made, and it opened the way for funding via Access to Work for a couple of sessions a month with a support worker.

You must have felt you were 'different' to seek a diagnosis, and however well you try to hide it, in all probability others will have noticed some quirks you may have that appear 'strange' to them. They may  not recognise this as autism, but they may make crass comments or remarks at times. My experience of 'coming out' was very positive and it does not affect who I am, it just explains things. I am not embarrassed or ashamed of my autism, but I don't shout about it to my neighbours or people I meet, but when I think it might be helpful I will say so.  It has never been a hindrance to me in that sense.

• It is definitely your decicion but you should.weigh everything up.carefully.

I do not think terms.such as 'mild' or 'slight'' autism are particularly helpful (nor for that matter 'severe') since they gloss over the needs and abilities of the person. You are autistic and in one way or another this manifests itself in many ways, and it is more than likely there is an autistic time bomb within ready to detonate in all its glory, in a spectacular display of what NTs would call 'unaccepable behaviour' or cause severe depression and anxiety.

I was having great problems at work and had to declare my autism, without so doing I would have been dismissed.  My assessor helpfully produced a detailed statement as to how I was affected and what adjustments should be made, and it opened the way for funding via Access to Work for a couple of sessions a month with a support worker.

You must have felt you were 'different' to seek a diagnosis, and however well you try to hide it, in all probability others will have noticed some quirks you may have that appear 'strange' to them. They may  not recognise this as autism, but they may make crass comments or remarks at times. My experience of 'coming out' was very positive and it does not affect who I am, it just explains things. I am not embarrassed or ashamed of my autism, but I don't shout about it to my neighbours or people I meet, but when I think it might be helpful I will say so.  It has never been a hindrance to me in that sense.

Children
No Data