Going through the process of getting diagnosed - worried

Hi

im new to online forum things so sorry if I shouldn’t be writing on here.

i am 38 years old and have always felt different, life felt like one big act which can be very draining. 

Recently everything seemed to come crashing down and I have had a really bad 18 months, things are getting better now but my GP who is very understanding felt that I maybe autistic. This didn’t come as a surprise as it has been mentioned to me in the past, however after hospital visits and reading documentation sent I am getting stressed.

i have been online to learn more and am finding some are saying a formal diagnosis is a relief and others are saying it is the worst thing they have ever done. I am now scared, stressed and constantly worrying about this. I am hoping some others who have been through this can help me decide if to continue or stop the process.

any help would be really appreciated 

thank you in advance 

Parents
  • Welcome

I have just been referred by my GP for a referral after a year of being a member on the forum and a self-confession self diagnosed woman on the spectrum.

I am seeking the diagnosis for myself, I take this as my personal journey...I am not doing it for validation or acceptance from others but for self-validation.

From understanding the way that I mask my behaviour and compensate for the areas that I struggle with on a daily basis was key to my understanding.  Why at the age of 43 have I made that decision? I go to the point where my masking strategies were beginning to waver and as a result more and more of the autistic me became apparent.

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/18/the-concept-of-compensation-makes-sense-of-several-autism-puzzles/

I am proud of who I am and the skills and abilities that being on the spectrum affords me. Yes, the challenges can be frustrating at times though!  It is worth holding onto to the fact that we are all made up of abilities and deficits and this is what makes us who we are.

Each of us unique, but certainly not substandard!

• Thank you elephant in the room x 

Reply Children
No Data