Going through the process of getting diagnosed - worried

Hi

im new to online forum things so sorry if I shouldn’t be writing on here.

i am 38 years old and have always felt different, life felt like one big act which can be very draining. 

Recently everything seemed to come crashing down and I have had a really bad 18 months, things are getting better now but my GP who is very understanding felt that I maybe autistic. This didn’t come as a surprise as it has been mentioned to me in the past, however after hospital visits and reading documentation sent I am getting stressed.

i have been online to learn more and am finding some are saying a formal diagnosis is a relief and others are saying it is the worst thing they have ever done. I am now scared, stressed and constantly worrying about this. I am hoping some others who have been through this can help me decide if to continue or stop the process.

any help would be really appreciated 

thank you in advance 

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum

I'm 59 and at the same point as you having been referred by my GP at the start of May - but that's when the stress and anxiety that you describe started to get worse.

In my case I was fortunate to find local "autism hub" meetings and going to those has helped me come to terms and accept the condition.  In turn that led me to start using this forum both to ask and respond to others - and that has really proven to be a great resource.  The simple ability to talk to people who "just know" (whether in real or online) is a great help.

Like others I need the formal diagnosis to help explain who I am and why I have felt different for my whole life.  But also, by talking with others I can learn coping mechanisms or strategies for everyday life where the challenges are hardest. 

• Welcome to the forum

I'm 59 and at the same point as you having been referred by my GP at the start of May - but that's when the stress and anxiety that you describe started to get worse.

In my case I was fortunate to find local "autism hub" meetings and going to those has helped me come to terms and accept the condition.  In turn that led me to start using this forum both to ask and respond to others - and that has really proven to be a great resource.  The simple ability to talk to people who "just know" (whether in real or online) is a great help.

Like others I need the formal diagnosis to help explain who I am and why I have felt different for my whole life.  But also, by talking with others I can learn coping mechanisms or strategies for everyday life where the challenges are hardest. 

Children
  • thank you for replying

reading the replies are helping me think about what I want but I am so confused and nervous about the outcome. When my GP mentioned autism I felt a bit relieved but since my referral was accepted after an assessment with the MH team I am getting really stressed and feel I have no where to go for help.

your response has been a help, it shows I’m not the only one