Being Touched

I am sure many of you have issues when it comes to touching.

If someone touches me or goes to cuddle me and I don't know it's going to happen, it freaks me out.  If I know about it, I am ok.

• I agree i dont like bein touched unless its sum1 i no if sum1else touches me n im not xpectin it or even if i am xpecting it i will freak out because i also hav issues with germs 

• I agree,i dont like bein touched unless its sum1 i no. Any1 else touches me if im not xpectin or even if i am i will freak out or. Wipe down my jacket because i also hav issues with germs

• An acquaintance I once had said she wanted to introduce me to a friend of hers who was a hippy.  I like hippies.  I'm one myself.  But she added 'You have to accept that he has a way with him.  Whenever he meets new people, he has to give them a hug and tell them he loves them.'

Er... no thanks!

• I'm fine with it, IF it has a genuine, useful context. People who lean all over me with no reason or back slap and things of that nature get a firm warning. I feel some people do it as a demonstration of strength or dominance. I don't feel the need to make people aware of my strength or see what boundaries I can cross. When I was younger I'd get into a lot of fights over it. Those guys who try and crush your hand when you shake hands make me angry too. A firm handshake is fine but when you are trying to show me that you are strong, it is pathetic and part of the mating ritual dances that I don't do.

• As a young adult, I always flinched if people moved to give me a hug. I wasn't even particularly conscious of my reaction, but people often remarked on my flinching. I assumed it was because no one in my family was very demonstrative and I wasn't used to it and was scared of physical violence or bullying (being youngest in the family). Indeed I learned not to flinch, I think. After diagnosis, it's one of those things that you wonder about as possibly related to some innate autistic characteristic. As far as I know I don't have any particular hypersensitivity to touch.

I always ask my autistic friends before going for a hug. Probably good practice in general anyway.

• This reminds me of an old joke,going back at.least to the early 1930s as it was in one of my fathers Champion comics which he had meticulously bound together.

Two builders are working on a building site.

One says to the other "Fred, what is that lump on your back?"

Fred replies: "Dynamite. I am fed up of the foreman slapping me on the back every time he says hello. Next time he'll blow his flippin' hand off!"

• I'm ok with some members of family touching me, I they all check first though by asking if they can have a hug or give me a hug. I don't like being touched by anyone else.

• I agree I prefer to see someone approach me. I think as re touching it depends upon who it is!!!

• Aside from a handshake, I don't like it.  And I certainly don't do hugs if they're part of 'buddy' behaviour.  I have a colleague at work who does things like stomach pats or back slaps.  I flinch away.

• If I can't see the approach then I get freaked out! i.e. if someone creeps up behind me!! Like the Spanish Inquisition at times! Fear, Surprise...what was that!!