A proposal for the resolution of the Irish border re: Brexit

Give Northern Ireland back to the Irish. It's only ever been trouble.

Discuss...

Parents
  • Discuss...

You may want to discuss with an autistic expert on Brexit ('Brexpautist?'), Nicholas Stone
    https://www.quora.com/Why-has-Brexit-resulted-in-a-huge-increase-in-support-for-a-united-Ireland

There seem to the following logical possibilities still:

1. The UK remains in the EU
    2. The UK stays in a negotiated customs union with the EU, at least as regards goods
    3. There is a customs border in Ireland
    4. There is a customs border 'in the North Sea'
    5. 'Irexit', the Republic also leaves the EU
    6. The customs union, or ability of the EU to impose standards on imported goods, is ended

The Republic won't agree to 3 or 5, the EU27 won't agree to 6, the DUP won't agree to 4, the Conservative Party apparently can't agree on 2, and if it's not 1 or 2, the UK has to decide where its customs border is. 1 seems unlikely without a change of UK government or second referendum.

One suspects the UK Government is now planning for 3, but doesn't want to admit it yet. I would hope that wouldn't lead to resurgence of war in Ireland just based on ordinary people having too much to lose, but then as ever the ordinary people aren't in control. I would have thought the 'backstop' proposal is a safer route to 4, with or without reunification.

• A lawyer told me that he is sure all the delaying tactics and infighting are symptomatic of the fact the government all know deep down thay Brexit is not feasible and will not actually go ahead. What marvellous optimism! He seems to forget how powerful an impulse the need to 'save face' is. Also that some unscrupulous minds want the UK as a little America, no human rights, no employee rights, no NHS but continued imperialist ambition, the like of which we still keep seeing in action, as others here have already illustrated

• I too suspect that the politicians have little intent of delivering the referendum result.

Amongst several possibilities, there's one where the Tories are simply putting on a show, until such time as the country is offered a cataclysmic leap off a cliff, where the full implications are clear; one wonders whether planning for this sort of thing is exactly the kind of conversations she has with other leaders:

"How's it going?" smirked Angela.

Theresa let out a theatrical sigh and rolled her eyes heavenward. "Well, of course we're not going to leave, Angela. The problem is that David has set the cat among the pigeons so we're all going to have to pretend to be leaving whilst we work to show the country that leaving isn't what they actually want at all".

"Sounds like a plan - but who is going to sit in cabinet with you? I mean, your're going to need some utter clowns that will be left with zero reputation and credibility; some buffoons who enrage the people in the short-term with their inability to deliver the referendum result they were offered by David... no one with half a brain is going to take that gig!"

"Actually, Boris has agreed to be Foreign Secretary", said Theresa, smiling sweetly.

• I am not sure you need to have an understanding of economics to recognise that no government likes to lose face in the eyes of the world, which is why I think the whole thing will topple into a no-deal situation. 

Reply Children
No Data