Finding a reputable private clinical psychologist for adult assessment.

Hi, I've been dithering about whether to book a private assessment for autism for a while. The Lorna Wing Centre isn't an option for me due to the cost but I'm finding it difficult to find someone else. I had booked an assessment with a Clinical Psychologist in August but I'm starting to get cold feet due to not being able to find anything about him online and due to his very short waiting list. He hasn't given me any details about himself really which sounds silly now I type it but I saw his details on the NAS website and assumed that he is reputable. 

How did you find your assessors (If you had a private assessment) and what questions did you ask to get a feel of them and their credentials?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • I looked at private assessments and they could all see me within a few weeks, they were charging around £1000. I was under the impression a lot of people do this around another job, such as assessing for the NHS. As they receive a significant sum for each assessment they only need to complete one or two a month and still receive a substantial income for the time they commit. The short waiting lists could be due to the lack of demand for private assessments - I believe children need an NHS report to receive support at school.

I just Googled autism assessors but the NAS website seems like a sensible place to start. I picked my favorite based on the look of the website and the speed and tone of their emails. Due to the number of people who told me I couldn't be autistic I decided to save my money and wait for an NHS assessment. In hindsight, I wish I had gone private as I'd have been seen 18 month sooner and the diagnosis has made a huge difference to my life.

• I looked at private assessments and they could all see me within a few weeks, they were charging around £1000. I was under the impression a lot of people do this around another job, such as assessing for the NHS. As they receive a significant sum for each assessment they only need to complete one or two a month and still receive a substantial income for the time they commit. The short waiting lists could be due to the lack of demand for private assessments - I believe children need an NHS report to receive support at school.

I just Googled autism assessors but the NAS website seems like a sensible place to start. I picked my favorite based on the look of the website and the speed and tone of their emails. Due to the number of people who told me I couldn't be autistic I decided to save my money and wait for an NHS assessment. In hindsight, I wish I had gone private as I'd have been seen 18 month sooner and the diagnosis has made a huge difference to my life.

Children
  • Thanks for your reply. I've gotten to the point where I just can't face waiting 18 months. It's already been over a year since I first realised that I may be autistic and I really don't want to stay in this limbo for much longer.