Finding a reputable private clinical psychologist for adult assessment.

Hi, I've been dithering about whether to book a private assessment for autism for a while. The Lorna Wing Centre isn't an option for me due to the cost but I'm finding it difficult to find someone else. I had booked an assessment with a Clinical Psychologist in August but I'm starting to get cold feet due to not being able to find anything about him online and due to his very short waiting list. He hasn't given me any details about himself really which sounds silly now I type it but I saw his details on the NAS website and assumed that he is reputable. 

How did you find your assessors (If you had a private assessment) and what questions did you ask to get a feel of them and their credentials?

Thanks. 

• Thanks for your reply. I've gotten to the point where I just can't face waiting 18 months. It's already been over a year since I first realised that I may be autistic and I really don't want to stay in this limbo for much longer. 

• Thanks for your reply, it's really useful to know that some costs could possibly be kept down. 

• I looked at private assessments and they could all see me within a few weeks, they were charging around £1000. I was under the impression a lot of people do this around another job, such as assessing for the NHS. As they receive a significant sum for each assessment they only need to complete one or two a month and still receive a substantial income for the time they commit. The short waiting lists could be due to the lack of demand for private assessments - I believe children need an NHS report to receive support at school.

I just Googled autism assessors but the NAS website seems like a sensible place to start. I picked my favorite based on the look of the website and the speed and tone of their emails. Due to the number of people who told me I couldn't be autistic I decided to save my money and wait for an NHS assessment. In hindsight, I wish I had gone private as I'd have been seen 18 month sooner and the diagnosis has made a huge difference to my life.

• It wasn't a problem for me, and would have thought you'd get a better response in your new area, but don't put yourself through stress. It's just that private assessments I hear of are in the range £500-1500

My assessment/diagnosis was private and towards the lower range of this, a lot of money for me but it has turned out to be money well spent

The psychologist I had did private assessments but also did assessments for the NHS.  I could have got in very quickly (about three weeks if I had wanted to) but it was only six weeks and a thorough job made, with a full report and an 'appendix' which stated how I was affected in everyday life including work and recommendations to ease my problems.  This proved the basis for an application to Access to Work and helped me when referred to my employers Occupational Health Service.

I found my psychologist through the NAS website but then googled him, and sent him an email to which I got a friendly reply.  He said that costs could be kept lower by me writing a 'potted history' (my words) using some questions he provided to guide me.  Not an onerous process at all.

• I know it's because the nhs is so cash strapped but it did seem quite unfair. 

• Well that's a bit rubbish! Think I'd be getting myself into bother if my GP does that to me! I must admit there was a bit more recognition from my GP yesterday when towards the end of telling him my reasons I told him of the break down of the relationship, so that is quite interesting. Maybe they believe you need to be in dire straits before they give up what we all deserve ! 

• Thanks for posting the link by the way and for your replies. 

• I was told it was because of the huge demand on the services in the area. I didn't contest it but in hindsight probably should have made more of a fuss.

• Oh. I've never heard of that happening for diagnostic assessments. I wouldn't have thought it was in line with the statutory guidance issued under the Autism Act. Some people say staff are 'not allowed' to say it's because of funding - it's more that it's not allowed to be because of funding.

It wasn't a problem for me, and would have thought you'd get a better response in your new area, but don't put yourself through stress. It's just that private assessments I hear of are in the range £500-1500.

• Hi, I was on an nhs waiting lost for two weeks then got a phone call from the doctor who referred me to let me know that I was going to be removed due to appearing too high functioning. As far as I know this was based on my working and relationship status. My AQ score is in the autistic range and I brought other evidence to the doctors appointment also to make my case. I have since moved but am reluctant to go through the stress of applying for a referal through my current doctors in case I get rejected from my new local service as well. 

• Just wondering: why not NHS?

The British Psychological Society has useful directories.

If you get an answer like 'why do you want to know my credentials?' run a mile, and assume they were psychoanalysts. Grinning