Memory trouble

Hello,

Does anyone else have memory problems?

If I can explain this right, it’s like with my hobbies (model railway mainly at the moment), I learn how to do one thing like wiring for example, then I move onto another part of the hobby and learn that part. But it’s as if learning the new thing pushes the memory of the last thing I learned out of my head! 

I have a basic understanding of the last thing that I learned but I am put off switching back to that thing again because it’s like I have to re-learn it all again.

I hope that makes sense.

It drives me mad!

thanks

Ade

• I’m the same, but I love it. I hate having to remember things, I’d much rather live in the moment but I am getting together a little system of writing things down (I haven’t started yet) so I am reminded of things I really want to do, in fact I was going to start that tonight, lol, epic fail at first attempt! Lol! 

• Hi, i'm exactly the same and it's really frustrating! My memory is very poor and it effects my day to day life fairly significantly. I have to write everything down and also have trouble recalling words when in the middle of a conversation. 

• Memory is the seamstress, and a capricious one at that. Memory runs her needle in and out, up and down, hither and thither. We know not what comes next, or what follows after. Thus, the most ordinary movement in the world, such as sitting down at a table and pulling the inkstand towards one, may agitate a thousand odd, disconnected fragments, now bright, now dim, hanging and bobbing and dipping and flaunting, like the underlinen of a family of fourteen on a line in a gale of wind.
  • I have suffered as a result of short term memory all my life, the simplest little detail just vanishes, 

so imagine me I sound fairly confident and I do like to talk if I know the subject matter or especially if it is about me,,,,,,,I ramble on full of confidence then suddenly a simple little fact is out of my reach! I can almost see it but then panic and frustration sets in and I stand there looking a right fool.

anyway I think memories are stored in different places depending on importance, mine are way back in the furthest parts of the storage container, buried under things all mixed up. They are there just can’t find them quick enough to use them.

• Mmmmm not sure Thinking I’ll have to think about it. I know I do learn things then seem to forget them but it’s almost like the knowing moves somewhere else to let the new information in. I think it just gets stored somewhere else and if you didn’t worry about switching back to a previous task, you would probably recall previous knowledge more easily. Because we often hyper focus on stuff, we can hyper focus on our thoughts at the exclusion of other thoughts. For example ‘I have forgot what I learned and I’ll have to start again and that will be terrible’  ~ these type of thoughts will paralyse you or rather it’s believing the thoughts that paralyse you. For example, you could think, ok, I hear that thought but is it true? Let me check this out. Let me go back to the task, take a few deep breathes and know that because I learned this task previously, that knowledge is stored somewhere in my mind and if I allow it to be recalled by having a mind clear of thoughts saying it’s not possible, then maybe the knowledge will come back much easier. 

None of our memories or experiences are ever wiped out, they’re stored somewhere. But yes, I have a constant flow of memories/knowledge etc coming then going and because of the intensity of my focus, one thought or train of thoughts kind of take up all the space my conscious mind has and makes it appear that I have forgotten what I’ve learned previously. It’s almost like intermittent dementia to me, it’s very weird but when I can see what’s going on I no longer get annoyed or whatever with it and the recall of the previous knowledge comes back much easier or I can see that I simply need more repetition of that task before it becomes a subconscious act, a bit like driving etc. Some things take more repetition.