My son wont accept help

Hi everyone, my name is Louise and I live with my son David who is 29.

im new on here so apologies if this subject has already been discussed, there's a lot of stuff to look at.

David has never accepted his autism diagnosis and thinks that he can manage without help, but left to his own devices he does nothing. He won't engage with his GP, social worker and various other organisations that have been involved. I have been told that as he is over 18 and deemed to 'have capacity' to make his own decisions that nothing can be done. David is depressed and takes his anger and frustration out on me every day. I have health problems and suffer from depression and anxiety as a result.

Has anyone else had this problem and did they find a way round it'?

thanks in advance 

Louise

Parents
  • Your David's confidence is probably shot to pieces and unfortunately may see any attempt to reach out to him as an attempt to undermine him. Of easy answers I have none. He should perhaps be guided by a good careers officer or if he refuses to hear any mention of the A word. 

• Your David's confidence is probably shot to pieces and unfortunately may see any attempt to reach out to him as an attempt to undermine him. Of easy answers I have none. He should perhaps be guided by a good careers officer or if he refuses to hear any mention of the A word. 

Children
  • Hi Nexus, you are right, Davids confidence is zero. He has had a rubbish life and all attempts to help him over the years have failed and it wasn't his fault. He is terrified that by accepting help, he is going to be forced into doing things against his will. When he was a teenager he had to go to a residential school far from home for a few years because the LEA couldn't find a suitable school close to home and he hated this.

it is difficult to access help without mentioning the A word because all people see is his disability. He goes to the job centre and proudly displays his entry level certificates and thinks he can get a full time, well paid job with them. He won't do voluntary work as he wants to be an engineer like his grandfather or a teacher like,his aunty. He doesn't look up to me at all as all I did was raise him!

its difficult but thanks for your reply Blush