Totally Rotten Sick Twisted World

Having tough time of a tough time. Had meeting with Employer and my medical team, my employer asked to speak with my medical team. Which I agreed to in the spirit of being open and with the expectation that the discussion would be about my requested changes, with some discussion about my performance. Really angry with everything, I feel meeting was ambushed to set the scene to kick me out of the company. I feel my medical team would provide some support, but I feel they have made things worse. I have told my doctor that I am trapped at work, in that my skills are out dated so I am not marketable, so my best cause of action is to stick at work and gain the skills and experience I need to continue with my career with a different employer. My doctor in the meeting said well we aren't getting any where with frustrations and problems at work, and he can't progress anything with my mental health until that is sorted out. He also keeps asking me "are you working full time now", I have been working full time for years. Part of my reasonable changes was to work at home a couple of days a week, because I find the office environment difficult, they already think I am wasting time at home. Just hate this sick twisted world In the meeting I am given two options, either leave the company or undertake a months trial where I will be intensively and closely monitored which will be very stressful. There were several references to having the option to leave the company at any time. They wanted to be involved with my medical team because they want an indication as to whether I am fit to undertake this trial. Even if the trial is successful, I am told that the changes I have requested do not fit with their company plans anymore. They cited communication problems, but I don't know where they are getting these from, I don't have communcation issues with my peers. I do with this nightmare manager, but I am doing my hardest to not let that get in the way of my work, and suppressing a lot of anger that they are adding to the situation

Parents
  • As a union representative, I would always advise someone who feels they have been treated unfairly to write a polite but firm email to their manager explaining how they feel and how they feel aggrieved.

This serves several purposes.  It can show that you disagree with how you have been treated.  It can put your point of view. And most of all, it can give some proof in writing.  Your manager will respond to your email, which will also give some proof in writing.  And it may, just may, clear the air a bit and your manager may begin to understand.

You can mention the ways you think laws have been flouted.  You can list the ways your condition affects you and how reasonable adjustments can help negate this.

And then, if you receive an unsatisfactory response, launch your grievance.  One thing which seems to be fairly common is for an employer to hold reasonable adjustments against an employer and use them as some sort of capability issue which seems to be the case with you.  If this is the case, this there again is grounds for a grievance.  Remember though that a grievance can be stressful and a lot of time the initial grievance is dismissed and  you would then have to go to appeal.  You may be able to go to an employment tribunal, but remember there are strict timelines in this and unless you are very strong your employer may then try to buy you off with a derisory sum perhaps then saying if you do not accept you will be put on an accelerated performance review plan (in other words you will be dismissed).  Without union help you would stand little chance if this happens.

I receive help from Access to Work, and as part of this I am given a support worker who would sit in any meetings with me, which is a help.  My employer/manager are under the impression that autism can be turned on or off and all that is required is a good talking to and threats of disciplinary action will change the behaviour or whatever the problem is.  A common response from the employer is that the changes you require are not reasonable, but this is not for your employer to decide (nor you for that matter).  Adjustments recommended by Access to Work will stand up in a tribunal as reasonable and as such your employer would be well advised to accept.

• As a union representative, I would always advise someone who feels they have been treated unfairly to write a polite but firm email to their manager explaining how they feel and how they feel aggrieved.

This serves several purposes.  It can show that you disagree with how you have been treated.  It can put your point of view. And most of all, it can give some proof in writing.  Your manager will respond to your email, which will also give some proof in writing.  And it may, just may, clear the air a bit and your manager may begin to understand.

You can mention the ways you think laws have been flouted.  You can list the ways your condition affects you and how reasonable adjustments can help negate this.

And then, if you receive an unsatisfactory response, launch your grievance.  One thing which seems to be fairly common is for an employer to hold reasonable adjustments against an employer and use them as some sort of capability issue which seems to be the case with you.  If this is the case, this there again is grounds for a grievance.  Remember though that a grievance can be stressful and a lot of time the initial grievance is dismissed and  you would then have to go to appeal.  You may be able to go to an employment tribunal, but remember there are strict timelines in this and unless you are very strong your employer may then try to buy you off with a derisory sum perhaps then saying if you do not accept you will be put on an accelerated performance review plan (in other words you will be dismissed).  Without union help you would stand little chance if this happens.

I receive help from Access to Work, and as part of this I am given a support worker who would sit in any meetings with me, which is a help.  My employer/manager are under the impression that autism can be turned on or off and all that is required is a good talking to and threats of disciplinary action will change the behaviour or whatever the problem is.  A common response from the employer is that the changes you require are not reasonable, but this is not for your employer to decide (nor you for that matter).  Adjustments recommended by Access to Work will stand up in a tribunal as reasonable and as such your employer would be well advised to accept.

Children
  • then saying if you do not accept you will be put on an accelerated performance review plan (in other words you will be dismissed)

Is this what has happened, I am as I am asked to go on "performance plan" I think there may have been another word mentioned "performance review plan"

Thanks for your message, trying to settle my feelings on this, but trying to read between the lines, my fate has already been sealed. A lot of what you say here resonates with my situation. I will follow up access to work, thanks