Concussion and fits.

I am not begging for attention and I am sure I will be fine, but I am in the hospital because I had a call yesterday, I have concussion and I have been fitting, they aren't being very nice to me and it's scary in here and they won't let my husband (my carer) be with me outside visiting time.

I tripped over nothing and landed on my face, my nose is wonky  but to swollen to tell if it's broken. I have had a mri scan, it horrible they keep taking me places and leaving me in corridors without saying anything.  I want to go home.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear this Song. I have had concussion before but not with fits, that sounds very scary and unpleasant (on top of the hospital environment itself). Make sure you get a much rest as you can and don’t push yourself too soon - recovering from a concussion takes time.

Do the staff know you have ASD? I find that even though it’s on my medical record, when in hospital it’s best to make this explicitly clear to every member of staff that sees you because often it turns out they don’t know about it! I struggled with being moved when in hospital too and I remember thinking ‘Why couldn’t they at least warn me first and tell me where they are taking me?’ Sometimes the little things can really help.

Try to ask for better communication with you about what’s happening, explain why you need that and if they’re still ignoring your needs and it’s getting very distressing for you then gently remind them of their legal obligation to provide reasonable adjustments - this usually does the trick. But most of all try to focus on getting your health better, because that will ultimately get you out of the hospital! 

Hope you’re feeling much better soon, and try to avoid any more unplanned trips!

• Sorry to hear this Song. I have had concussion before but not with fits, that sounds very scary and unpleasant (on top of the hospital environment itself). Make sure you get a much rest as you can and don’t push yourself too soon - recovering from a concussion takes time.

Do the staff know you have ASD? I find that even though it’s on my medical record, when in hospital it’s best to make this explicitly clear to every member of staff that sees you because often it turns out they don’t know about it! I struggled with being moved when in hospital too and I remember thinking ‘Why couldn’t they at least warn me first and tell me where they are taking me?’ Sometimes the little things can really help.

Try to ask for better communication with you about what’s happening, explain why you need that and if they’re still ignoring your needs and it’s getting very distressing for you then gently remind them of their legal obligation to provide reasonable adjustments - this usually does the trick. But most of all try to focus on getting your health better, because that will ultimately get you out of the hospital! 

Hope you’re feeling much better soon, and try to avoid any more unplanned trips!

Children
No Data