My strange eating habits

Hi there...

I know a lot of autistic people have certain eating habits such as liking certain foods and things, but I wondered if anyone else had similar habits to me. At the moment I feel a bit strange to say the least!

These are some of my habits:

• I can't eat from plates or bowls that I have just washed up
  • If I don't wash something straight away, and leave it on the side for a day, I can't eat from it until the memory of it being dirty is gone
  • If executive dysfunction (or my chronic illness) leads me to not wash it up for a while, I just throw it out because I know I won't be able to eat from it :( I've lost some of my favourite bowls that way
  • I have certain cutlery and crockery for different things, I can't eat pasta from my cereal bowl for example

But if I go to someone else's house, none of these things apply. It's only if it is my house that I have these habits. I wonder if its linked to OCD?

Parents
  • Hi there,

It does sound if some of these things could be linked to contamination OCD.  I have rules about what types of crockery and utensils can be used for certain foods and I am meticulous about cleaning - to the point it drives my partner insane at times.  I will rewash dishes and rinse them to be sure and everything has to be bleached and sterilized regularly.

I am very attached to my crockery as it was inherited from my grandparents and I don't have a lot of it, so throwing away isn't an option, plus I hate waste.

If it is the cleanliness of the item that is an issue, could you let the items sit in diluted bleach, thoroughly rinse them and then rewash them to ensure no dirt/germs remain?  If I think something is dirty, then the memory won't go away so I have to tackle it by washing it and ensuring it is clean.  I try to suppress these rules at other people's houses so not to seem rude, but I have been known to leave a full glass of liquid, because the glass wasn't clean or I wasn't happy about the way it has been cleaned.

On another note, I also can't deal with square plates or crockery with corners!  Drives me mad!

• What you said sounds very similar to me. The only issue is my other half ... let's just say doesn't have the same issue with dirty plates as me! He will leave them a few days and it drives me insane! He's always leaving a pile of plates in the washing up bowl so it makes my disinfecting harder lol!

• What you said sounds very similar to me. The only issue is my other half ... let's just say doesn't have the same issue with dirty plates as me! He will leave them a few days and it drives me insane! He's always leaving a pile of plates in the washing up bowl so it makes my disinfecting harder lol!

Children
No Data