To Disclose or Not?

The question whether to disclose a diagnosis of autism comes up quite a lot, therefore, I thought this Psychology Today article would be of interest:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mom-am-i-disabled/201804/full-disclosure-strategic-choice-also-political-one

Parents
  • I think it could be read as:

If you can pass for neurotypical, don't disclose. Otherwise, disclose. At work or school, if you're ok with being discriminated against, don't disclose. If you're not, and you have the energy to take them to court, disclose.

I think if I ever make any friends (who aren't autistic themselves), I think I would tell them. It's an interesting topic of conversation, at least. If they dump me for being autistic, they weren't really my friends to start with. Since I have some serious issues with knowing who I can and can't trust, that approach would kill two birds with one stone.

If you can pass for neurotypical, don't disclose. Otherwise, disclose. At work or school, if you're ok with being discriminated against, don't disclose. If you're not, and you have the energy to take them to court, disclose.

I think if I ever make any friends (who aren't autistic themselves), I think I would tell them. It's an interesting topic of conversation, at least. If they dump me for being autistic, they weren't really my friends to start with. Since I have some serious issues with knowing who I can and can't trust, that approach would kill two birds with one stone.

Children
  • I disclosed my autism on my first application form for two jobs, and got both of them. I can pass as NT, but it stresses me out. Plus, how can I ask for reasonable adjustments at work if I haven’t disclosed? I got tired of hiding it and I disclose if I need something or just to explain why I’m being odd/quiet/etc. 

I agree with 's statement that 'it all depends on the context, circumstances and personalities involved'.

I prefer to always disclose but I accept that not everybody takes the same view.