New job problems. Help.

I started a new job last Monday, and after a very frank review with manager on Friday afternoon I'm considering quitting after only a week.

The basic theme of the review was that I'm not showing an aptitude for the work and not engaging with the clients well enough.

I will start by explaining some of my background and situation.

I, unsurprisingly have had long gaps in my employment and need money desperately.  And I cannot be choosy!   So obvious route is finding paid employment.  Any paid job!!!!!  

Other routes are trying for more benefits.  One debt advisor suggested I apply for PIP.  The next three professional  advisors ( same week)  laughed at the suggestion.  Saying that my social skills problems are minisule compared to some people they deal with.

I have and had multiple advisors giving me all types of contradictory advice.

In applying for this job, one of my employment advisors actually changed my answers.

For confidentiality reasons I will not give specific details but the job is full time at the minimum wage and involves supporting people with complex physical/mental needs.  Over the past twenty years I've been involved in doing this type of work for family and neighbors, so I am familiar with the issues and can emphasize with most autistics and their problems.

The problems are that I'm not showing enough enthusiasm and the will to get involved in specific tasks while shadowing existing workers.  I am too reserved.

And the end of week review was very very negative.

Should I quit?  Or turn up tomorrow morning and carry on ?

At the moment I'm intending to continue and apply for other jobs simultaneously.  Just doing application for work at local poundstrechter.

Parents
  • This is what NTs don't understand about our lives. Everything is made more difficult for us because of the way they automatically treat us, without even realising why they are doing it.

Why is your manager expecting you to be perfect when you are only being paid minimum wage, anyway? That's totally ridiculous. It sounds as if you are in training, if you are just shadowing other workers. It is unreasonable to criticise you after only one week. Being reserved shouldn't be criticised. If you were failing to do as you were asked, that would be one thing, but they seem to be assuming that you should know exactly what you should be doing when you obviously haven't been told.

Try to find some relief in the fact that you are drawing a salary right now and that you are applying for other work, so you will soon be able to take charge of your own situation and have the option of leaving.

Make sure you disclose your disability and ask for reasonable adjustments as necessary. That will make them think twice before they give you another bad review or fire you. Then at least you will keep getting the salary that you need.

Ask exactly what you can do differently that will result in better reviews. Ask for it in writing, perhaps in the form of a checklist, and then you can tick off the items on the list as you accomplish them. Then they will have a difficult time giving you a bad review again. Get everything in writing or record everything.

I know how it is to get an unfair negative review. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of treatment, and, from my own experience, I am almost certain it arises from the fact that you are on the spectrum and your colleagues have picked up on the fact that you are different and vulnerable, even if you haven't disclosed your condition.

• Get everything in writing or record everything.

I support this advice. It is the best defence, add dates and as much as possible. Argue your case, yet try not to be hostile about it and stay logical and focussed about everything.

Reply Children
No Data