Undateables!

On more 4 now, has two people with autism.

not sure if it can be watched on catchup or similar?

no idea if it is a representation of real life or just sensationalised? I have watched a few before and it can unite individuals that go in to share their lives together.

x()x

12/04/2018,

time now 22:54.

Parents
  • I'm not sure how many series of this show they've made so far, but they always feature people with autism.

It's quite a light-hearted show - it highlights the difficulties people with different conditions have when they are trying to find love, and for some of them the condition is directly related to this (such as autism). It's Channel 4, which means it's a commentary on disability and society's tolerance and perception of this, but it also shows how people can still want and find love no matter how 'different' they are.

Also, the look on the old ladies' faces when someone on a date who has Tourettes shouts a really bad swearword whilst they're trying to enjoy their cream teas on the seafront.

• Also, the look on the old ladies' faces when someone on a date who has Tourettes shouts a really bad swearword whilst they're trying to enjoy their cream teas on the seafront.

Lol! 

I agree.... and the programmme also highlights societal “rules” about what dating should look like and how difficult these can be to negotiate... I.e, what do I wear? Do I get flowers? Is it ok to hold hands? Do I shake hands/a hug or a kiss on the cheek as a greeting?

:)

• Yes, I love that bit of it. It really highlights the questions we need answering in order to "do it correctly" that no-one else understands are even questions.

There was the guy who took the list of questions to ask his date that his mum had written and laminated for him, and he had them sat on the table whilst they were waiting for their starter and he was just reading off the list. And you laugh, because it's so incongruous to "normality", and it's endearing because he's really trying, and then you have a think about why his mum did that for him, and what the point of asking these questions actually is. And it's not because he's actually interested in where she went on her last holiday, it's because, in asking these questions, there's some weird hidden mechanism by which she will feel closer to him. But, I don't think his mum thought to tell him that's what it's for, because he just asked the question and didn't respond with a follow-up based on her answer...and would it have made a difference anyway? Because we don't understand this hidden mechanism, we have no clue as to how it happens, or when it happens, or if it's already happened. "I asked you about your holiday and your favourite film and if you like music. Do you feel a connection with me yet?". And the follow-up questions are so hard because we don't know the script. You've been to Malta but I haven't so I don't know what's there so I can't ask you any more things about it. Next question. It's sad, and funny, and relate-able.

• Yes, I love that bit of it. It really highlights the questions we need answering in order to "do it correctly" that no-one else understands are even questions.

There was the guy who took the list of questions to ask his date that his mum had written and laminated for him, and he had them sat on the table whilst they were waiting for their starter and he was just reading off the list. And you laugh, because it's so incongruous to "normality", and it's endearing because he's really trying, and then you have a think about why his mum did that for him, and what the point of asking these questions actually is. And it's not because he's actually interested in where she went on her last holiday, it's because, in asking these questions, there's some weird hidden mechanism by which she will feel closer to him. But, I don't think his mum thought to tell him that's what it's for, because he just asked the question and didn't respond with a follow-up based on her answer...and would it have made a difference anyway? Because we don't understand this hidden mechanism, we have no clue as to how it happens, or when it happens, or if it's already happened. "I asked you about your holiday and your favourite film and if you like music. Do you feel a connection with me yet?". And the follow-up questions are so hard because we don't know the script. You've been to Malta but I haven't so I don't know what's there so I can't ask you any more things about it. Next question. It's sad, and funny, and relate-able.

Children
No Data