GP lied about referral. What can I do?

Hi,

I’m 33 and female and went to speak to the GP about an autism assessment. He asked me a load of personal questions and I got a bit emotional answering him, but I felt really embarrassed more than anything. Answering a few random questions on the spot to justify something that makes sense because of a lifetime of a million little things rather than any one glaring symptom.

I think I’m perceived as mostly normal but inside I’m acutely aware of how much I’m having to concentrate and calculate my responses. Every day is an exam that I can score ok on but I’m perpetually revising. There are things I don’t even remember because I’m so practised in negating my reaction, I’m like an robot, until someone else points it out as one of their symptoms of their autism and I connect another dot.

He said that I might be but might not, he didn’t seem very knowledgeable, and that I’d have to travel to Sheffield. End of appointment.

I googled Sheffield and it seemed legit. I get the referral through and it’s to an anxiety and depression therapy agency in Derby.

The thing is that anxiety and depression are not part of my symptoms. My reactions are very internal and sometimes they explode out in private and other times I manage to swallow them deep until I can reason with myself somehow and let it go.

Anxiety and depression were not mentioned in the appointment either. Except as I was literally walking out of the room and he asked if I was depressed, he didn’t actually use that word, and I said no and he nodded and I left.

I have a telephone consultation booked when he gets back off his holiday (?!) so what can I say?

Thanks

• I self referred to the diagnostic assessment team. I'm in Northumberland so I'm not sure if all areas give you that option. If so, they'll send you  a form out. I wrote a list of my main difficulties and examples from past and present and said why I was referring myself/what I hoped to get from a diagnosis.  I hope you get sorted 

• The first GP referred me to a mental health clinic and I then changed GPs and spoke to my local autistic trust, who helped me get a proper referral. 

It's possible that your GP just does not know the difference between autism and mental health.

Have you looked to see where the nearest autism diagnostic centre is near you? You may have to to another GP and give the details of an actual diagnostic centre so they know where to refer you.

• Do you live in Derbyshire? If the letter is from Derby it may not be as bad as it seems. I live in Derbyshire (not too far from Sheffield) and all of the letters re my assessment came from Derby as that's where the autism assessment centre is based, although they do deliver assessments throughout Derbyshire.

Here are the contact details in case you want to contact them directly re your referral.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder Assessment Service, 
    Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, 
    St Andrew’s House, 
    3rd Floor,
    201 London Road, 
    Derby, DE1 2SX. 
    Telephone 0300 790 0265.

• I would ask to see another doctor-preferably Female -and if they say no to that just up sticks and find another GP surgery-an easy procedure-don't worry! We have to put up with enough as it is and you should not have to do battle with a GP who you do not have total confidence in.and who does not appear to be that sympathetic. A telephone consultation sounds pretty awful and impersonal, your GP should have more sensitivity, I am still waiting for mine but when t eventually comes I know it will be face to face and that will mean that they will be able to see me as a real person and pick up on any visual clues I may provide instead of just some disembodied voice with whom there can be no direct interaction

It is no small thing you are attempting to find some resolution over, this is life-changing stuff and it is important that you feel you are at least being pointed in the right direction by someone who truly has your best interests at heart.

Good Luck!!

• Guess whatever you say, try to avoid accusing him of lying. It's not really what he did, I guess, and accusing him of having done so is probably not going to help. He saw you and, being a doctor, believes that he knows way better than you, so with a few questions and your answers and perhaps more so your reactions he diagnosed you and he's convinced he's right. So he refers you to what he genuinely believes is what you need. Being diagnosed with all sorts of things is something that seems to happen to a lot of people until it later turns out that ASD actually explains things much better and treatment for these conditions (clinical depression, borderline personality disorder...) was not working or doing more harm than good because they didn't actually have what they were diagnosed with. No idea how you can change his mind about this, because from his point of view he is a professional and you are not, even if he doesn't have much of a clue really, but accusing him of lying to you is one thing I'm quite sure is not going to get you there. Guess you can only try to have a few(!) strong(!) examples that suggest that depression and anxiety are not the primary problems but, if signs are present, may rather be a result of ASD. But saying this, limited experience tells me that it quite possibly won't work, because the diagnosis he has given you is beyond doubt for him. 

The other option, if he does not change his mind, would be to try again when you are in the place for the depression/anxiety therapy. You may be lucky and they are more open to other explanations for your issues. Adds more waiting time obviously.

• To begin with become better informed about autism and GPs. Visit the Royal College of General Practitioners' autism web page:
    http://www.rcgp.org.uk/ASD

The toolkit page contains a lot of information:
    http://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/resources/toolkits/asd-toolkit.aspx

NAS' GP page is worth a read:
    http://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/health-workers/gp-info.aspx

• No, I’m speaking to the GP again on the phone after I questioned my referral. 

I don’t know what I can say to him to get assessed when he’s clearly changed his mind in the absence of his patient.

• You're getting assessed over the phone? What a nightmare!!!