Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me

The documentary has won a Broadcasting Press Guild Award 2018 for the Best Single Documentary:
http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/news/chris-packham-wins-a-broadcasting-press-guild-award-2018-for-the-best-single-documentary

Given the available time, I thought the programme was excellent. My only criticism relates to scheduling: I would have liked the programme on BBC1 at prime time.

Parents
  • Television tends to show certain types as weird.  From Soap Operas to Medical light drama, to situation comedy, and even to Quiz Shows, where would they be without someone who is 'strange' in some way or another.

I know a lot of people have said before the documentary that they don't like Chris Packham as there was something 'strange' about him.  Although he has made no secret of his Autism before the documentary, he has had what neurotypicals would describe as 'forthright' views on things, and his love of a bird of prey (much like Kes) when he was small is well documented.

What the documentary did though was show that despite his autism, Chris Packham is able to function in a way that suits him even if it doesn't suit the neurotypical way of thinking.  His relationship may be considered unusual, but who is anyone else to judge?  He earns what I would consider to be a good living, has obvious skills and knowledge, and in his own inimitable way is able to communicate on things that interest him which the world of broadcasting has found is also suitable for the type of programme he does.  .  Throughout the programme I noticed great similarities between him and me in his thought processes and attitudes, and I am sure this also applies to many other autistic people who watched the programme.

And I hope this is not the last time we have a programme that shows the skills autistic people have.  Whatever good intentions of drama programmes, I think they will always portray autistic people as strange.  Documentaries, perhaps showing the struggles autistic people have had, and the skills they have which are not recognised, problems in the workplace, attitudes of others, this could be far more illuminating. 

The world seems to think that social interraction is the thing we all strive for, whereas what I strive for is a recognition as to who and what I am and that even if I don't interract very well with others I have skills and aptitudes that should be highly valued.

• Television tends to show certain types as weird.  From Soap Operas to Medical light drama, to situation comedy, and even to Quiz Shows, where would they be without someone who is 'strange' in some way or another.

I know a lot of people have said before the documentary that they don't like Chris Packham as there was something 'strange' about him.  Although he has made no secret of his Autism before the documentary, he has had what neurotypicals would describe as 'forthright' views on things, and his love of a bird of prey (much like Kes) when he was small is well documented.

What the documentary did though was show that despite his autism, Chris Packham is able to function in a way that suits him even if it doesn't suit the neurotypical way of thinking.  His relationship may be considered unusual, but who is anyone else to judge?  He earns what I would consider to be a good living, has obvious skills and knowledge, and in his own inimitable way is able to communicate on things that interest him which the world of broadcasting has found is also suitable for the type of programme he does.  .  Throughout the programme I noticed great similarities between him and me in his thought processes and attitudes, and I am sure this also applies to many other autistic people who watched the programme.

And I hope this is not the last time we have a programme that shows the skills autistic people have.  Whatever good intentions of drama programmes, I think they will always portray autistic people as strange.  Documentaries, perhaps showing the struggles autistic people have had, and the skills they have which are not recognised, problems in the workplace, attitudes of others, this could be far more illuminating. 

The world seems to think that social interraction is the thing we all strive for, whereas what I strive for is a recognition as to who and what I am and that even if I don't interract very well with others I have skills and aptitudes that should be highly valued.

Children
No Data