Anti depressants?

I'm struggling, in truth i have been struggling for a very long time, I think most of us do. My GP has me on anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets they don't do much for me at all. 

Is there anything that does help? I think that my depression is not depression but part of my autistic spectrum thing. Assuming that it is asd not depression is there anything that can make it any better? I am not sure that I can cope for much longer.

Parents
  • I'm struggling more than normal right now, I wish I could just stop existing, I don't want to hurt anyone here ( at home) by them knowing I have hurt myself but they would all be so much better of without this burden. If I could just go to sleep and never wake up that would solve the problem and take away all this pointless pain.

• I'm struggling more than normal right now, I wish I could just stop existing, I don't want to hurt anyone here ( at home) by them knowing I have hurt myself but they would all be so much better of without this burden. If I could just go to sleep and never wake up that would solve the problem and take away all this pointless pain.

Children
  • Sorry to hear that, Song. You're a worthwhile person, not a burden. The pain is difficult to bear and I find it hard to explain to other people. I hope you feel better soon.

• When I have been asked what thoughts Id had on following through my thoughts, that is one I come back to. Our struggles are very real, painful and seem never ending. Anti depressants don’t work for me either.  I have lived with “depression “ probably since teenage maybe earlier. It ebbs and flows, sometimes it’s raw and sometimes dull but it never really goes away. I try to stand back from it and just notice it like mindfulness, acknowledge it’s present and hope it’ll be quick going away again. Sometimes I just live through one day at a time til it passes. I learnt that it is part of me not something separate, it’s another facet of my makeup. I have heard that it can be genetic and linked to neurodevelopmental “disorders”. I think knowing that depression “isn’t my fault” and probably genetic has helped me. That doesn’t make it less painful or confusing but in a small way it helps me get through the bad lows. We know diet, hydration, sleep, exercise etc all contribute to how we feel so we can make ourselves feel worse by eating tonnes of sugar and carbs, not drinking enough water, sloughing on the sofa etc and that a walk in a green space is calming but in a bad patch none of that seems to matter. If I’m in a bad patch I try to rest more because it often means I’m tired and have stretched myself too far, I allow myself to do whatever I can manage, watching a film or listening to a story. At bedtime I try to focus on the words on the radio not the words in my head. Just one day and one night at a time.... don’t give in just yet . Sending hugs through the ether