Pre-diagnosis query

Can anyone share the info or know what is asked of parents/family/friends/spouses about you for historical or childhood info etc?

Does that make sense?

• Thank you, very helpful.

• Hi Beaky8401,

Although it seems the question has been quite well covered by the posters in this thread, I thought you still might want to have a look at the NAS pages on adult diagnosis (which is here: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx) which outlines the process of getting a diagnosis from beginning to end, and also the GP checklist, which is aimed at doctors preparing to diagnose patients but contains examples of many of the kinds of questions you and your family might be asked. You can find that here: http://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/health-workers/gp-info.aspx

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod

• They asked my parents about my childhood, social interactions and behaviours on the day of the assessment.  There was a paper based questionnaire they had to fill in before my assessment that asked about my early history until primary school, including questions on my ability to offer comfort or recognise emotions.

I spent some time reflecting on my life and typing out my own thoughts and difficulties, along with social history, which I sent to the assessment team before the assessment. I did this because I am not very good at explaining myself or communicating, especially under stress. I also included school reports.

They use all the evidence to come to a diagnostic conclusion.  It was a helpful process because I learned more about how my family see me.

• Yeah, it’s just general kinds of questions. It’s nothing to worry about but it is helpful. My mum pulled out just before my assessment so the assessment couldn’t be as robust. It’s a shame, I would have liked to have explored my childhood with my mum. I could never get her to tell me anything and thought with the help of the psychiatrist, she could tell us more. But she didn’t want to. I don’t mind. I think she’s on the spectrum as well. We see things in each other that other people don’t see. And I was diagnosed anyway without that information. So it’s helpful but not vital. 

• My mother came with me to my diagnostic assessment.  After my interview, the psychologist spoke to her alone for about 40 minutes.  She was asked mainly about my developmental milestones.  What I was like as a child, whether my progress was akin to that of my brother's (8 years older than I am), whether I seemed to have any special needs in terms of parental attention, progress at school, making friends, etc.  Mum was frank that I was very quiet and shy, obviously bright as a child, struggled around other people, more inclined to isolate throughout childhood, imaginative, and quite demanding.  It was very useful input.  Combined with my own account, it helped to give a more rounded picture of me.

• They ask about social aspects, such as development, did you have any friends, how you played ( if at all) etc.