Miswired Women of the Net!

An informal thread for all misfired and miswired women on the spectrum...,(and guests). A new thread as we can chat away but are not so good tidying up after ourselves....too busy being awesome..,,

This is a new iteration of many long and warm and welcoming contributions. This is a happy and supportive place x 

Parents
  • Thanks Ellie.  I must admit that I find this site so difficult to navigate with the replies within threads rather than going to the end and so I just avoid it when I’m tired after work.

I’m doing okay - my GP couldn’t find my completed questionnaire at my last appointment so I’m still waiting.  Bar that, I’m still chugging along. I do definitely feel more autistic now I’ve admitted it to others and I’m finding I’m starting to mask less.

• Hi Bonnie...I’m trying to drop the mask too but it is a challenge....so when you say you feel more autistic.....is that the same as feeling more like “you”?......it is a transition....and I think we are constantly transitioning .....

good to hear from you x

• Hi Bonnie...I’m trying to drop the mask too but it is a challenge....so when you say you feel more autistic.....is that the same as feeling more like “you”?......it is a transition....and I think we are constantly transitioning .....

good to hear from you x

Children
  • yeah, I am beginning to realise that now.....it is such a liberating feeling because for the first time in my life I feel more at peace and it is because I am not banging my head a against a brick wall trying to understand/listen/fit in with all the NT mischief around that we are navigate on a daily basis....I am kind of picking my battles more in that respect.....

• We do fit...because we frame ourselves in ND terms not NT....,we fit here because we know who we are,,.we don’t fit there...because it is too difficult at times to explain or to listen and comprehend 

• Hi Ellie, thanks for the welcome, it's funny but I was just thinking I have seen many of us describe ourselves as misfits or miswired etc but here on this forum we all seem to somehow "fit" and I think that is a fantastic thing...

• yes! that's a good description....we are being more accepting of who we are and so less scared of the potential consequences that go with just letting things flow more?

• Hi RedShoes...42 year old misfit here...welcome to the space...well done for doin* so we’ll on your journey so far x

• Not fighting it....? Lettin* things flow? .....being less scared by the potential consequences?

• Hello everyone! I am a newbie and dipped in and out of the forums but have not said much, I thought I would introduce myself as I stumbled across the previous aspie women & guests thread a few days ago and when I saw this one had opened up I had a peek and thought I'd take the plunge and say hello :-) I am a 47 year old woman.  My GP did a referral for me and I had the initial tests a few weeks ago at my local mental health services and was told that I am indeed on the spectrum however the next step is to be referred for a "formal" diagnosis and I got the letter last week confirming I am indeed on the waiting list which is currently 12 to 18 months long.  I too have found that since I have started to admit it to others I have found I have "dropped the mask a bit" and I guess I know what you mean Bonnie about feeling more autistic as a result - I am beginning to realise how much I did "mask" before and how flippin exhausting it can be.....I was trying to describe it this evening to my partner and said I felt a bit like a duck on a pond who looks like on the surface is just gliding a long but what you can't see is my legs going round and round at a frantic pace - I suppose that is what we do most of the time we have learned to "mask" or camouflage who we are as a kind of coping mechanism...... 

• Yes I hope they will join in. Hello Bonnie good to see you. I understand the tiredness factor for joining in all too well. Yes I have found that too.. I almost feel like I’ve reverted more to how I was in younger years and yes more myself.. it’s like a relaxation from continual effort. Hard to put it into words.