ASD and schizotypal -overlap and differences ?

At my last meeting with the Nurse practitioner at my old address she mentioned autism in relation to things I told her and gave me a sheet about a local autism charity. However she also said that things might be explained by schizotypal.

I am wondering what people think about the overlap and differences between ASD and schizotypal. How many have gone in for an ASD assessment to be told they are schizotypal? How many are seen as being both ASD and schizotypal ?

Parents
  • Hi, this concerns me very greatly. Three family members have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. 

The main difference is this hearing voices.

Which has also recently a study by an English gent (Dr. Tony Attwood) https://youtu.be/wfOHnt4PMFo?t=869 said that ASD people get lonely. And they invent an imaginary friend to talk to.

And so when asked are you hearing voices?

They reply yes. And a diagnosis is formed of schizophrenia. Which may or not be correct. Because of everything else fits

Is this ASD or schizophrenia?

• a lack of interest in things
    • feeling disconnected from your feelings
    • difficulty concentrating
    • wanting to avoid people
    • hallucinations, such as hearing voices or seeing things others don't
    • delusions (which could include paranoid delusions) – strong beliefs that others don't share
    • disorganised thinking and speech
    • not wanting to look after yourself

• Hi, this concerns me very greatly. Three family members have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. 

The main difference is this hearing voices.

Which has also recently a study by an English gent (Dr. Tony Attwood) https://youtu.be/wfOHnt4PMFo?t=869 said that ASD people get lonely. And they invent an imaginary friend to talk to.

And so when asked are you hearing voices?

They reply yes. And a diagnosis is formed of schizophrenia. Which may or not be correct. Because of everything else fits

Is this ASD or schizophrenia?

• a lack of interest in things
    • feeling disconnected from your feelings
    • difficulty concentrating
    • wanting to avoid people
    • hallucinations, such as hearing voices or seeing things others don't
    • delusions (which could include paranoid delusions) – strong beliefs that others don't share
    • disorganised thinking and speech
    • not wanting to look after yourself

Children