Getting the message out 'Autism in our own words'

First of all I will state this is not a survey just to reassure moderators.

Inspired by the Chris Packham Programme, and by some answered to that thread about non celebrity autistic people plus some things in another thread about life histories, I think this could be very useful for both neurotypical and autistic people.

What I am thinking of is if a book could be published with each chapter being someone's life story. It would incorporate earliest memories, our background, experiences at school, academic achievements and failures,  misunderstandings, the realisation that neurotypical were a bit strange, experiences in the workplace or of being out of work, the skills possessed and our interests, how others try to change us, the disrespect we often get - I'm sure you get the idea.

Am I the only one who would find this very interesting?  I have no idea how this could be brought to the attention of a publisher, or what forums would be available to tell our extended stories.  Even an online publication could prove interesting.

We all have a different story to tell, linked by our common condition so there would be differences but also some similarities.  Psychologists who diagnose probably are aware of all this but as a means of comparing notes and informing others this could be as valuable as any number of academic papers

Parents
  • Hi, I'm new here, I only just found you today. I only recently got diagnosed with asperger's syndrome, but I prefer to refer to it as autism and I would love to get our stories out there. It's so frustrating to me that even my family don't want to know about me. My sister said it's just a label, don't identify with it, other friends have said the same. I have devoured as much information as I can about autism, so I can learn more, so having a book with different people's experiences would have been so good for me.

• I think it’s a great idea, as a parent of a youngster i am desperate to know more from people that have been through early life, to know what is / was hard, what helped them, what they loved, found hard and why.

Worried parents read a lot (well I do) I want to understand and help my son through life, we are the ones that can learn through your experiences.

The more we know the more we can help the little ones just starting out.

• Absolutely, I couldn't agree more with that and I tend to gain more benefit from the personal experience of others and not only that, I feel that it links us up, it gives us a community and even if we are just reading their stories through pages I feel connected and it doesn't matter what 'age' we are, we can all still learn from each other. For example, my friend taught me a little tip that she taught her 8 year old daughter and it works a treat for me and oh yes, if I can do something to help the little ones just starting out, then I will. Being autistic can be a wonderful experience, if we are aware of it and how to manage it in this crazy world and we definitely need the support of each other as we are in the minority. 

• Absolutely Abigail, misconceptions need to change. I almost hate myself sometimes for my ability to 'pass' and for being articulate. Ha Ha I love that you wore your wellies to a night club. I wear mine all the time but don't go to nightclubs anymore, other wise  I would like to wear them there as well. People think I'm weird for wearing wellies all the time but I would rather put up with that than having to wear any other kind of foot wear!

I've got tons of writing on my autism over this past year as I write as a way of processing things but it's all on bits of paper or notes on the phone or ipad or lap top, it's all over the place but I too am trying to get myself back into some kind of shape so I can create an income again. One part of me wants to jump back into work that is well paid, so will get me out of debt and give me some good savings, but on the other hand, I really don't want to do it. It feels like a step back not a step forward and even if I did manage to do it for a few months, how long would it take me to recover? It's a risk and if I did do that, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on eating healthy or getting my fitness back. Oh the joys! lol. 

I'm going to let this week play out and maybe next week, I will do some writing. I think it will actually be good for me, it might clarify things in my mind and make things clearer so I know what support I need. I could do with more income but at the same time I don't want to push myself into anything that I don't think is ultimately going to add value to my life. I've earned good money in the past and I believe I will earn a lot more in the future but this time, it has to be on my terms.

I can so picture us all on the red carpet though, we would look awesome and seriously, this world has to change and it needs changing anyway because most nt's aren't that happy.

• Trainspotter and BlueRay I couldn't agree more! Weirdness is awesome! I literally went to a night club in my wellies once. Was dragged there by a friend and refused to change in protest. Most people thought it was funny!

It's great if some of you feel ready to get started on some writing. Although like you BlueRay I'm not up to it just yet. I have written around 15000 words of reflective dribble leading up to my diagnosis that needs serious editing and re-writing. But as I'm focused on job applications I don't feel it's something I could achieve this side of Christmas.

For validation for ourselves and to help the youths out there. I also don't "look autistic" and to some may even appear NT.  This common and imensly frustrating  misconception needs to change!

• Trainspotter and BlueRay I couldn't agree more! Weirdness is awesome! I literally went to a night club in my wellies once. Was dragged there by a friend and refused to change in protest. Most people thought it was funny!

It's great if some of you feel ready to get started on some writing. Although like you BlueRay I'm not up to it just yet. I have written around 15000 words of reflective dribble leading up to my diagnosis that needs serious editing and re-writing. But as I'm focused on job applications I don't feel it's something I could achieve this side of Christmas.

For validation for ourselves and to help the youths out there. I also don't "look autistic" and to some may even appear NT.  This common and imensly frustrating  misconception needs to change!

Children
  • Absolutely Abigail, misconceptions need to change. I almost hate myself sometimes for my ability to 'pass' and for being articulate. Ha Ha I love that you wore your wellies to a night club. I wear mine all the time but don't go to nightclubs anymore, other wise  I would like to wear them there as well. People think I'm weird for wearing wellies all the time but I would rather put up with that than having to wear any other kind of foot wear!

I've got tons of writing on my autism over this past year as I write as a way of processing things but it's all on bits of paper or notes on the phone or ipad or lap top, it's all over the place but I too am trying to get myself back into some kind of shape so I can create an income again. One part of me wants to jump back into work that is well paid, so will get me out of debt and give me some good savings, but on the other hand, I really don't want to do it. It feels like a step back not a step forward and even if I did manage to do it for a few months, how long would it take me to recover? It's a risk and if I did do that, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on eating healthy or getting my fitness back. Oh the joys! lol. 

I'm going to let this week play out and maybe next week, I will do some writing. I think it will actually be good for me, it might clarify things in my mind and make things clearer so I know what support I need. I could do with more income but at the same time I don't want to push myself into anything that I don't think is ultimately going to add value to my life. I've earned good money in the past and I believe I will earn a lot more in the future but this time, it has to be on my terms.

I can so picture us all on the red carpet though, we would look awesome and seriously, this world has to change and it needs changing anyway because most nt's aren't that happy.