Seeking Assessment due to Perimenopause Experiences

I'm 52 and currently undergoing an extremely traumatic perimenopause. I had pretty much accepted that I have always been autistic and experienced adhd, but never felt any inclination to have an official diagnosis. However changes in hormonal activity have thrown me into a spiral of chaos and despair - all my coping mechanisms have disintegrated and I find myself overwhelmed, desperate and suicidal. Lots of the drug treatments my GP has provided are entirely unsuitable for me and in fact, make matters worse -  SSRI's and SNRI's in particular. HRT also seems generally ineffective, synthetic progesterone has a terrifying effect on me, despite this I was prescribed continuous Norethisterone patches - I did express opposition to this, citing past experience, but was made to feel I wasn't commiting to getting better if I didn't "give it a try" Needless to say, I had a very bad physical and mental reaction and am stopping all HRT

My own research suggests that autistic people living through menopause have generally similar experiences to my own, so I asked my GP if I could start the process for ASD assessment, as I felt this might lead to a more considered and appropriate treatment of my menopause. I realise the waiting list is long and it might be too late for this, but thought it was a positive step. My GP dismissed my request immediately - stating I was "not well enough" to undergo the process. 

I've read of a few people gaining a diagnosis as a result of experiences in menopause/perimenopause and wondered how they negotiated this process? I don't have the funds to seek a private assessment, especially as I feel my combined adhd/asd means there's a risk I may not come away from the process with a positive diagnosis. 

Would be very interested to read of other's experience in this area

Parents
  • Hi I'm neuro typical BUT one thing I can offer you and please don't get upset but it's just how it is...menopause lasts anything from a couple of years to five or even some symptoms not all in drag on for upto 7 years and I know that's not going to make you happy to hear that as yes menopause for some of  us is  hell.  I had and am seeing the end of some parts of it and I'm about 5 yrs in and even neuro typical people  have a really bad menopause it's just random whom.it affects the worse in fact I've read some women have no problems at all ..lucky them. Anyhow my experience has been not to go to doctors an just handle it myself.. one thing was to reorganise and rethink my life so there is no or as little stress as that will be a big factor as stress can affect lots if things like temperature changes in your body and your blood sugars  etc etc. And the same thing with sleep so ditch the caffeine and start to drink calming herbal teas get good night's sleep when you can and if you don't sleep and it is possible then don't do to much the next day ie don't push your mind and body when it's running on empty. Look after your diet and exercise..  all things that yes are fairly common things but if you can upgrade yourself like that you will have a much easier time of dealing g with it....I lost my mind I can tell you it was hell I couldn't sleep my whole being was just discombobulated I felt like my atoms just went on a crazy spiral and there was me just at mercy of it...meditation and just trying to be calm got me through the worst of it...and after many years my faculties are returning and it was scary for a while as I thought was loosing my mind but I can happily tell you that I gradually came back together and feeling vaguely compis mentis...so hang In there an don't be afraid to go other routes other than the doctors was we are not all the same what works for one won't work for another .

• Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that experience of menopause differs for everyone and isn't dependent on neuro diversity status. As I replied to another response, I studied herbal medicine and I'm very aware of the inadequacies of  mainstream health care.

Your  recommendations for self care are things I wholeheartedly agree with, unfortunately they are just not an option atm - I'm in a very difficult financial position, work a very exhausting low wage job etc. Also have never been able to meditate, my brain simply doesn't work like that, despite my best efforts!

I think I was asking if  asd/adhd people had somehow tapped into a different model of care as a result of diagnosis? As my own neurodiverse traits have become exaggerated and unmanageable due to hormonal changes, it makes sense that endocrine systems and neurodiversity impact each other

• I've never understood why menopause is a gynae problem and not treated as an endocrine one? I wonder how many other hormones go out of whack during menopause?

Reply Children
No Data