Struggling to keep it together

My 7 year old was diagnosed last month and since the school holidays started my husband and I have noticed his meltdowns and anxiety has intensified. He's becoming more aggressive to his younger sister and losing his temper much quicker. I think the realisation that this is something we are goinb to have to deal with for the rest of his life is finally hitting us. Calming and battling with him is physically and mentally exhausting. My husband seems to be struggling and completely shuts down once our son has gone to bed after a serious meltdown. Fingers crossed i should be going on an all things autism course in a few months but until then has anyone got any advice on how to deal with an autistic child? How do you keep it together?

• Hi, I was in a similar situation. My son was diagnosed at 7 and has a younger sister and displayed very similar issues to what you are describing.  The good news is that as far as your son goes, once you start to understand a bit more about what is going on for him he will feel less anxious and frustrated and the older he gets he will be more able to 'voice' what is going on for him and 'hold back' his meltdowns in appropriate situations.  Within his safe environment of his family though I am sure he will have to 'let go' because it is exhausting for him to hold back in situations where he feels he has to.  I'm afraid if anyone could fully answer your questions they would be millionaires - each child is so very different that you have to find your own way....and if you can keep it together for even some of the time then you'll be doing extremely well!  I am on the autistic spectrum myself which has its advantages because I can understand the effort it takes to get through every day as an autistic person and can relate to the sensory overload and feeling of being overwhelmed all the time.....but that means I have less energy to go around myself and that has a huge impact on the rest of the family.....and unfortunately, we haven't managed to keep it together.  However, that is not to say that you won't though, but it will be hard work and if your husband is struggling too then it's going to be extra hard work.  But, us women are so very strong and we will do anything and everything for our children so stick in girl and I wish you all the best. :-)