Repetitive behaviour

Good morning all,

My 3 year old son is constantly tapping objects on himself and all around the house,  on the doors, floors,  furniture,  other people.  How can I  distract him from this behaviour.  Thank you in advance. 

Parents
  • Repetitive action in autism fulfils a very important self regulatory purpose. When not doing it, I am more susceptible to overwhelms and meltdowns.

This feels like a fairly harmless repetitive action. Is there a specific reason you wish to redirect it? My general advice would be to let it continue. 

• My general advice would be to let it continue.

I'm with FB on this - you may be able to get him to only do it in certain areas if you are worried about damage, but if it is the noise you don't like then you may need to find a replacement stim for him to do.

There are a range of stim toys available online so maybe search for some which are not noise producing or have hard surfaces - then he can tap them on anywhere and it should be quieter.

• My general advice would be to let it continue.

I'm with FB on this - you may be able to get him to only do it in certain areas if you are worried about damage, but if it is the noise you don't like then you may need to find a replacement stim for him to do.

There are a range of stim toys available online so maybe search for some which are not noise producing or have hard surfaces - then he can tap them on anywhere and it should be quieter.

Children
No Data