Unable to wear clothes help needed

Hi all

My 6 year old has just been diagnosed.  She has been school refusing since October only managing half days or a few days. Currently she is unable to tolerate wearing any clothes apart from knickers and is refusing to leave the house.

Any advice or recommendations on what may help with sensory issues around clothes-she says it hurts and we have tried multiple clothes etc...and also any recommendations around help leaving the house? She cant even go out to do things she wants to do.

Thanks

Parents
  • That's a difficult problem to solve. I have touch sensory issues, but I can wear soft, loose clothing. What types of clothes have you tried? How about a soft onesie that looks like an animal? Make sure that there are no labels stitched to the inside of any clothing you try to get her to wear.

Obviously she cannot leave the house just wearing knickers, so you'll need to try to get the clothing issue sorted first. But maybe part of the refusal to dress is because she has worked out that she can't go out in just underwear?

It could be all about being overloaded by school. Have you talked to the special needs staff? 

• Lots of children refuse to wear clothes and it's a quite common way of them acting out, its one of the few areas where they have power.

Have you a dress maker nearby who could make her some clothes in nice fabrics and French sew all the seems to make them enclosed and flat?

• Lots of children refuse to wear clothes and it's a quite common way of them acting out, its one of the few areas where they have power.

Have you a dress maker nearby who could make her some clothes in nice fabrics and French sew all the seems to make them enclosed and flat?

Children