Is this person being supportive or critical of me? Do you think that they are a friend or not?

Someone was recently advising me about my study skills and future career ambitions.

They said: 'I'm glad I could help. But now you have established some career goals focus on them. Don't think you might make them. You could still be a lecturer and a politician in one life - we all know we need good MPs.'

I struggle to interpret messages like this in any instance, but I am especially confused by the 'Don't think you might make them' bit. Are they being supportive or critical here? Do you think that they are a friend and that what they are saying is supportive or is this part critical?

• It sounds like they were saying if you only think you 'might' get these jobs you won't work as hard to meet the criteria for these roles compared to if you decide you are definitely going to apply for these posts. I think they were being supportive and trying to push you to work as hard as you can for the things you want in life. 

• Sometimes things can appear to be a little ambiguous when what you need are clear answers. Maybe you should ask your friend to clarify their meaning. It's great to have goals, but sometimes you may need some guidance to set you on the right path. I was always told if in doubt, ask!

fully appreciate your interpretation of criticism. Definite aspie trait I have to deal with too.

• I think they are being supportive

• My interpretation would be that you've got your goals set but you need to be determined, not just think that might be what you're aiming for. I think they were being supportive.