About the Cookies

Have you noticed that websites often ask for a permission to run cookies?

For example, here.

However, often they only give the option to allow the cookies, but the "No" is not available and the banner cannot be removed any other way than saying "Yes".

So, effectively, pushing people to accept the cookies.

I find this so frustrating.

Do you have the same problem?

Parents
  • The reason for this is that a lot of website software was written to use cookies before the EU 'cookie directive' came in. This rule means that a site had to have consent before storing information on a visitor's computer, which is what a cookie is, unless it was 'strictly necessary'. Now Facebook and Google may want to track every interest you have and page you visit, but there's a difference between that and a cookie that just tells the NAS site whether or not you're logged in. Unfortunately that distinction between the two purposes was never really made properly.

The thing is though, that the banner doesn't actually mean that the site complies with the rule. It's just a way of saying, 'our website uses cookies and if you don't consent, you shouldn't use it'. But by the time you've seen that, it's probably already set a cookie - and many sites can only remember you don't want cookies by setting a cookie (hence 'basic only').

Cookies are actually to an extent under your control though the privacy settings of your browser (you can see one's been set, but probably don't know what information it's linked to on the website end). Here's a page explaining a bit more http://www.allaboutcookies.org/

I use Firefox plugins including 'Cookie AutoDelete' and 'Privacy Badger'. I also sometimes use the 'New Private Window' to log into something under a different identity, which sounds a bit like what Graham's suggesting but with only one browser.

However I kind of like the banners because they are a continual reminder that lawyers, politicians and web designers can all be idiots.

• The reason for this is that a lot of website software was written to use cookies before the EU 'cookie directive' came in. This rule means that a site had to have consent before storing information on a visitor's computer, which is what a cookie is, unless it was 'strictly necessary'. Now Facebook and Google may want to track every interest you have and page you visit, but there's a difference between that and a cookie that just tells the NAS site whether or not you're logged in. Unfortunately that distinction between the two purposes was never really made properly.

The thing is though, that the banner doesn't actually mean that the site complies with the rule. It's just a way of saying, 'our website uses cookies and if you don't consent, you shouldn't use it'. But by the time you've seen that, it's probably already set a cookie - and many sites can only remember you don't want cookies by setting a cookie (hence 'basic only').

Cookies are actually to an extent under your control though the privacy settings of your browser (you can see one's been set, but probably don't know what information it's linked to on the website end). Here's a page explaining a bit more http://www.allaboutcookies.org/

I use Firefox plugins including 'Cookie AutoDelete' and 'Privacy Badger'. I also sometimes use the 'New Private Window' to log into something under a different identity, which sounds a bit like what Graham's suggesting but with only one browser.

However I kind of like the banners because they are a continual reminder that lawyers, politicians and web designers can all be idiots.

Children
  • 'Privacy Badger'.

Now there’s a phrase you don’t hear everyday... he also looks rather sinister despite his good intentions.

This begs for spin off software extending the theme - watch out for Indiscrete squirrels, web weasels etc

Is Privacy Badger prone to virus attack or just TB?..Would a malware attack on my badger constitute baiting? 

So many questions....

Does the Badger have levels of privacy? I.e indiscrete / fine when sober / will only tell your best friend / total stum? 

Thank you for raising awareness on the forum though about such tools... data protection is important.