Does Asperger Syndrome still exist in ICD-11?

There are rumours circulating that ICD-11 will more closely align itself with the American DSM-5 and exclude the term Asperger Syndrome by incorporating into Autism Spectrum Disorder. I have had a look at the draft of ICD-11 and found the following:

6A02 Autism spectrum disorder

6A02.0 Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language

Description: All definitional requirements for autism spectrum disorder are met, intellectual functioning and adaptive behaviour are found to be at least within the average range (approximately greater than the 2.3rd percentile), and there is only mild or no impairment in the individual's capacity to use functional language (spoken or signed) for instrumental purposes, such as to express personal needs and desires.

All index terms:

Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language

Asperger syndrome

Asperger

Asperger disorder

Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and without impairment of functional language

It appears that the official term for the condition is "Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language" that's a mouthful but a generally good technical description whilst Asperger syndrome is included as an alternative / unofficial / popular / colloquial term.

The question now is whether the recent paper by Herwig Czech will impose pressure on the WHO to completely eliminate Asperger syndrome from the final publication of ICD-11.

Parents
  • IMO the term is now too entrenched to be eliminated or deemed an unacceptable or offensive word.

I agree.  I was diagnosed 3 years ago under the general criteria for an 'Adult Asperger Assessment (AAA)'.  I've always thought of myself as someone with Asperger's Syndrome - or an 'Aspie' - and I'm going to continue to think that way, in spite of what historical revision reveals.  It doesn't mean that I defend the affiliations or actions of Hans Asperger.  It doesn't make me anti-Semitic by association - though I'm sure there are plenty who will argue that way.  In the same way that plenty argue that to be anti-Zionist or anti-Israel is anti-Semitic.  It's a bit like saying being anti-Catholic is anti-Irish.

Some revisionist histories of Churchill suggest that he was a white supremacist.  I don't see anyone taking down his statues or discontinuing the references to 'Churchillian' determination and fortitude, though.

• I totally agree. I think that the equivalence is ridiculous to say the least. I think the issue is about Asperger's connection with "euthanasia". I voiced my concerns with it all in the Asperger thread. The way Czech has tried to smear Uta Frith is ridiculous, he seems like an attention seeking hack with his tactics concerning valuable members of the Autistic research community. I worry about the effects that this will have on past and future research.

I'd say as someone who is of Jewish heritage, I don't feel it is anti-Semitic either. It could be called homophobic, anti-Roma gypsy, anti-Black or even more paradoxically anti-neurodiverse to make an equivalence. I think that the Jewish connotation is more of something that lies close to Arran's alignment. I doubt there are many that will question your use of the term. I think Flieger style watches should still be called Flieger watches. I don't see anyone queing up to stop the use of that term.

On the subject of Churchill though he was a eugenicist who advocated sterilization of the "mentally deficient" and got neurodiverse people put in labour camps by getting a bill passed in parliament.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Mental_Deficiency_Act_1913

• I totally agree. I think that the equivalence is ridiculous to say the least. I think the issue is about Asperger's connection with "euthanasia". I voiced my concerns with it all in the Asperger thread. The way Czech has tried to smear Uta Frith is ridiculous, he seems like an attention seeking hack with his tactics concerning valuable members of the Autistic research community. I worry about the effects that this will have on past and future research.

I'd say as someone who is of Jewish heritage, I don't feel it is anti-Semitic either. It could be called homophobic, anti-Roma gypsy, anti-Black or even more paradoxically anti-neurodiverse to make an equivalence. I think that the Jewish connotation is more of something that lies close to Arran's alignment. I doubt there are many that will question your use of the term. I think Flieger style watches should still be called Flieger watches. I don't see anyone queing up to stop the use of that term.

On the subject of Churchill though he was a eugenicist who advocated sterilization of the "mentally deficient" and got neurodiverse people put in labour camps by getting a bill passed in parliament.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Mental_Deficiency_Act_1913

Children
No Data