A Short Word History of Autism

The word 'autism' began its English life as a word borrowed from German.

Readers of this forum are familiar with the current meaning of 'autism', however, its original (and now historical) meaning was:
A condition or state of mind characterized by patterns of thought which are detached from reality and logic, formerly sometimes regarded as a manifestation of schizophrenia or other psychiatric illness.

The original meaning of the word dates back to 1912. The OED's last recorded use of the word in its original meaning is from 1972.

The meaning with which we are familiar dates back to 1944, where the word was used by Leo Kanner in the Journal of Pediatrics. The early use of 'autism' was always in the phrase 'infantile autism'. The OED's first recorded use of 'autism' on its own is from 1967 (by Bruno Bettelheim in the book Empty Fortress).

Parents
  • People talk about how "Asperger" is a bad word now and how they no longer want to be associated with it, but is "autism" really any better?

The origin of the word autism combines aut- (a shortened form of auto-, meaning "self"), -ism (meaning "devotion", "action", or "practice"). Therefore, it means devotion or action toward oneself, i.e. selfishness, and autistic basically means "selfish". At least that's how I read it.

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I don't consider myself selfish. I try and have tried to help, support and connect with other people, and it's not my fault that there has always been a barrier in the way of that. I am not devoted to myself or my own needs any more than any neurotypical people are devoted to themselves and their own needs. In fact, I suspect I am a considerable amount less devoted to myself than others are to themselves, in fact, because the effort on my part is frequently there even though it is not recognised as such, whereas certain others (though not everyone, of course), who would not have any particular trouble connecting with and supporting people around them, are clearly and markedly in it only for themselves.

This has been bothering me for a while, and it is to the point where I almost find the word "autistic" (along with its variations) offensive, even before all the many stereotypical assumptions come into it.

Does anyone else have an opinion or feeling about any of these words?

• The origin of the word autism combines aut- (a shortened form of auto-, meaning "self"), -ism (meaning "devotion", "action", or "practice"). Therefore, it means devotion or action toward oneself, i.e. selfishness, and autistic basically means "selfish".

You are confusing etymology with definition. The original definition of 'autism' is stated in my opening post. The current definition (according to the OED) of the word is:
    A neurodevelopmental condition of variable severity with lifelong effects which can be recognized from early childhood, chiefly characterized by difficulties with social interaction and communication, and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour. In early use more fully infantile autism.

Oxford Dictionaries (which focuses on the current language and practical usage) gives this definition:
    A developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterized by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour.

• That word has that definition because someone invented it, using the etymological meaning as the intended meaning, referring to a group of people with a particular set of traits corresponding to the etymological meaning, or at least that is how he perceived it at the time. I wouldn't mind it so much if he had called it "cute person syndrome" instead. Then we'd all be "cuties".

• I prefer to put my trust in the OED and take the facts as presented, without assumptions.

It is a shame that you have tried to make the thread about your 'connotations'. A separate thread would have suited your needs better.

Reply Children
No Data