Is depression different in autistics? If yes, how so?

I've been wondering about this for a while...I used to be very depressed but when I looked up the diagnostic criteria, my symptoms never really matched, I used to look up different types of depression too but none of them sounded like me. I went to a professional too and they also said I probably don't have it until I talked about suicidal thoughts, then they gave me a prescription. It all made me feel like an imposter. I had many symptoms but either they fluctuated too greatly and were not as persistent as the criteria says, or I never had the right combinations of symptoms or my experience didn't match with the described experience of that type of depression.

So, was it autism that was doing this? 

Parents
  • Depression is often misunderstood and autism and depression share symptoms between them so what you're labelling depession could just be how your autism manifests.

Me, I have both, and I've always been described as the most depressed person peope have met because of the way that I engage with people when my depressive state is ascendant. 

• Depression is often misunderstood and autism and depression share symptoms between them so what you're labelling depession could just be how your autism manifests.

Me, I have both, and I've always been described as the most depressed person peope have met because of the way that I engage with people when my depressive state is ascendant. 

Children
No Data