Hello!

Hello...

Ok, after watching the Chris Packham programme, it's spurred me on to answer a nagging question in the back of my mind, so I've decided to get diagnosed to see if I'm on the spectrum.

I've got a GP's appointment booked, and was wondering what the process is.

I've done a few online 'tests' and all of them pretty much say I'm borderline - which logical side of me agrees with.

What I'm hoping from all this is to no longer have to justify my behaviour in certain 'normal' situations to others. 

I'm in my 44th year, and I've always felt different.

Thx
C.

• Oh I will do. I feel less ‘alone’ already and really would like to help other in tackling their own or their children’s issues.

like you said embracing the positive traits do help. Pointless fighting something which you can’t have any control over because it’s who you are.

thats something which you learn with age though.

• It’s getting better....my epiphany happened in the summer and I know what to call it when I curse it’s! Lol

here has been very important so do explore the forums and get out there! 

• And now you have a name for it , do things become ‘easier’?

• I knew...but didn’t have a friggin name for it., 

• I am who I am. Time to accept that and move on. 

Even though I’ve only self diagnosed, it does feel like I’ve got the answers to all my ‘why’ questions.

i have to be very logical in the job that I do, so everything is making more sense than ever before.

just wished I knew sooner!

• Sounds like you need an autistic cape for that one! Focus on the positives.....be you, be humble....and don’t forget your not quite Rain Man 

• Ok I am autistic. Slight smile

watched him on autumnwatch last night and he hides it well.

Im really glad I watched the aspergers programme. It was when he was arranging the clothes hangers and the urge to buy multiple things.

I’m good at a lot of things. So long as it doesn’t involve too much human interaction or indecision making. I excel at putting order into chaos!

• Jump in with both feet! As you’ll find here...it is more common than you thing and the Chris Packham programme as found a lot of newbies here!

youre probably not a bit autistic, but are autistic....the NAS shop sells cheap business cards which tell people if their have encountered one of us abnormal normal folk! 

But.....what are you good at! Lol 

• I’m done fighting whatever it is. It’s my superpower!70s were horrible. So were the 80s. Definitely more an 90s man.

It just will be nice to be able to tell people that I’m a bit autistic and that I’m not purposely being rude. Yes it does seem a bit *** that I’ve got to have something to validate not showing up at events or to do stuff that makes me uncomfortable.

theres 2 things I’m really bad at. Job Interviews and dating!

• ditto.....! My last score was 46/50....wish i got those kind of test scores at school!

I blame the 70s....all that Angel Delight, Findus Crispy Pancakes, and E-numbers! (joke)

be proud of yourself that you made it this far! ASD really is a glorious thing....if you can learn to love it!

:)

• just done the AQ test. scored 36 and 7.

pretty much confirms that nagging feeling ive had the last 25yrs... wish i did a test like this in my teens.

Life may have been less emotional!

• Look at the AQ test as this is usually one of the base line tests!

Beware the bump...diagnosis...can lead to a "what now" moment!! Slight smile

Good luck

• Hi Ellie

I'm male. and yup, done several online tests, one from dealwithautism adult one came back as Borderline or High Functioning Autism. 1360 out of 2240 (61%)... a few others, pretty much similar. ill do the ones you've linked when i get home. so thx

I'm just after some closure in some aspects of my life, and try and embrace it than fight it.

• Hi Chewie..

i’m 42 and self diagnosed. Have you done an AQ test? 

http://www.lifeonthespectrum.net/blog/?page_id=1188

May I ask if you are male or female...as this is significant re diagnostics! 

Anyway....hi Chewie....welcome aboard!

ellie