Feeling lost

Hi

I've never wrote on anything like this before but I'm feeling completely lost and helpless at the moment. My 3 year has just been diagnosed with autism and my 2 year old has his assessment in 2 weeks time. I need to start looking at information on autism but I honestly can't bring myself to pick up the leaflets I was given. Im terrified to look too much into it. 

My 2 boys are good one to one but when they are together all I do is stop them from hitting each other. I'm just about at breaking point. 

Any advice on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. 

Also I can not get my husband to talk to me about it. He's quiet anyway but I feel like I'm dealing with this on my own at the moment. 

Parents
  • Hi,

It is a hard situation to get your head around, but the forum is home to many people in similar situations so you are never alone. AngelDust is spot on about loooking for local Autism charities,

They are a hugely valuable resource and can offer you fantastic help in your local area,

Also the NAS website is packed full of helpful advice, and there is a helpline, though its Monday to Friday:

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx

I have a Diagnosed 4 year old, who has 2 older sisters. My partner and I spend our weekends splitting up our 4 year old and our middle 7 year old daughter, as this is the best way to make sure they all get the right type of attention with us (parents) without feeling left out. It can be very hard sometimes, but I wouldnt swap them for the world!

The best thing I have found is to educate myself better about ASD and how it affects our families lives. The more I understand, the more I can do to help make my childrens lives enjoyable.

Having a diagnosis is a very good thing. It means whe our son starts school he will have a support network from day 1. This was a driving point in our seeking a diagnosis, and will help give our son the best chance of reaching his amazing potential, whatever he wants to do.

And not to repeat myself but dont think you are alone! If you have any questions, need a moan or just to vent, you will find there are more ears to liosten that you thought possible!

Good luck!

• Hi,

It is a hard situation to get your head around, but the forum is home to many people in similar situations so you are never alone. AngelDust is spot on about loooking for local Autism charities,

They are a hugely valuable resource and can offer you fantastic help in your local area,

Also the NAS website is packed full of helpful advice, and there is a helpline, though its Monday to Friday:

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx

I have a Diagnosed 4 year old, who has 2 older sisters. My partner and I spend our weekends splitting up our 4 year old and our middle 7 year old daughter, as this is the best way to make sure they all get the right type of attention with us (parents) without feeling left out. It can be very hard sometimes, but I wouldnt swap them for the world!

The best thing I have found is to educate myself better about ASD and how it affects our families lives. The more I understand, the more I can do to help make my childrens lives enjoyable.

Having a diagnosis is a very good thing. It means whe our son starts school he will have a support network from day 1. This was a driving point in our seeking a diagnosis, and will help give our son the best chance of reaching his amazing potential, whatever he wants to do.

And not to repeat myself but dont think you are alone! If you have any questions, need a moan or just to vent, you will find there are more ears to liosten that you thought possible!

Good luck!

Children
No Data